Logo

Oops. I think I shorted something out! Someone Please help!!

Stan1

I just bought this boat and had to install a new live well and bilge pump. There was no power getting to the pumps. The switches on the dash were lit up and the motor cranked, acc switch lit, and horn worked. Battery is good. There are two wires black and red on the hull floor that I assumed went to trolling motor on front (another story for another time). I connected these to the battery along with the main leads to the motor. Now the whole boat is dead. What did I short out and where is the fuse?

It would be nice to know what you are working on. If it is an outboard look for a fuse (usually 20 amp) under the cowling of the motor.

It is an outboard 90 HP Evinrude V4 The model is a VRO and I have taken the cowling off and did see any fuses.
It would be nice to know what you are working on. If it is an outboard look for a fuse (usually 20 amp) under the cowling of the motor.

It is an Evinrude 90 HP V4, model VRO outboard. I did take the cowling off and did not see any fuses. There are what appears to be two 20 amp relays though.

there is an inline fuse in one of the wires on the right side of the motor as viewed from inside the boat...it is a short fuse that cab be purchased at any auto store....

Take your time now and dont hook any wires up unless you know what they do. Look under the dash for inline fuses or a fuse block you can wire the fish well pump to. I like to fuse any component separate either in line or mount a fuse block under the dash. Disconnect the battery when connecting wires under the dash especially it can get real expensive real quick! If you cook a wire in the loop your screwed.

Ok, I fixed the fuse problem. That was easy. However when I took it out on the water, the trim indicator and water temp indicator do not work. Are these fused somplace in the engine cowl? All the fuses in the block under the dash are good.

Thanks for the tips on the fuse issue. Now can anyone tell me why the trim and water temp indicators are not working? All the fuses under the dash are ok. Is there fuses for these under the cowl?

Back