Logo

1994 Yamaha 200 hp TXRS charging system problem

dafraf

Took boat out the other day and noticed the instrument panel volt meter only showing battery voltage (11.8 to 12.0 v at cruise rpms of 4000). Normally shows about 13.6v to 13.8v This is the 1st time I have experienced this issue. No other abnormal observations. Both batteries are fresh and hold a charge well.

Cleary looked like charging system was not functioning properly. Next day removed Rectifier Regulator to test continuity (black-red-green wires). Readings were inconsistent.......not sure if my meter was getting good readings/contact. Test would show discontinuity then really high resistence reading (definately not 0 to 1). I reinstalled the Rectifier Regulator and started motor. Volt meter showed system charging at about 13.2 to 13.3 v at 2000 rpms (ran test on trailer). I did notice that one time the voltage creeped up to about 14v then jump back to about 13v. Turned off motor then restarted. After about a minute the overheat horn sounded.....turned off motor and felt heads......did not "feel" abnormally hot and water was coming from the water tube as normal. Restarted motor a third time and looks like no output from Rectifier Regulator. Removed and retested continuity.....now no readings

Questions: (1) can a Rectifier Regulator be "going" bad and intermittently act-up or does it just go out? (2) Could this scenario trigger a false overheat alarm? (3) should I look for other possible causes before I replace the Rectifier Regulator?

If wire connecteions are good mabe clean with sand paper.also wiggel the wires and the harness while its running.see if meter changes. A rectifier has one way diodes. With wiers not conected it should read one way and not the other.if you have a cheaper meter it may show a high res one way witch is realy like ol.voltages changing rappedly could set off the box for the alarms? Hope this helps

Back