Logo

'08 BF90D Falls on its face under heavy load

captjohn

I have 200 hrs on her but it's done this since it was new. On a 22' pontoon and only does it with heavy load running hard. Falls on its face and gets right back up several times with out touching the throttle. It only does this a few times a year. An ob mechanic friend of mine thinks its the screen in the vrs tank. He says I can do the job. I'm also an old "everything" mechanic but auto by trade. Is the job very difficult? He said to remove the intake tubes so I can get to the tank.
Thanks
Capt John

Don't get into the VST yet.

If your engine frame serial number falls between BBCJ-1000001 ~ 1012697, the fuel pump has been modified to correct just such a situation. If this happens to you and squeezing the fuel bulb keeps the engine running smoothly, that is the problem.

It should still be covered under warranty if you are in the USA. You should have a 5 year warranty on the motor unless it is commercially used. I am not sure how it might be covered elsewhere in the world.

The way to tell which one you have by looking at the low pressure pump....on the top rear port side of the engine. If the hose coming from the lower pressure filter goes to the upper nipple on the pump, then it is the old pump.
If the hose goes to the lower nipple, then it is the updated pump.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I'll check it tomorrow. I'm in the US and non commercial.
I love these forums! You guys know more than the dealerships :cool:
Capt. John

Couldn't wait till tomorrow. My serial # is 1007222 and the filter hose goes to the top pump nipple. That explains why it's done it since it was new.
Now, if I can get the dealer to understand! Maybe the new pump wasn't out yet when I was complaining right after I bought it.
Thanks again Mike!
Capt. John

Ask your dealer to check Service Bulletin #66.

He will probably have to order the new pump and fuel hoses. It does not take long to do. If they have never done one before, suggest that they temporarily remove the oil filter to gain easier access to the area where they have to pull a new fuel line from the fuel pump to the vst.

Essentially, the pump does not have the power to draw through the various restrictions of the fuel system and its connection method actually allows air pockets to form and thus the fuel pump does not fill the vapor separator when the demand is the greatest.

A quick workaround is to bypass the low pressure filter (assuming there is a water separating fuel filter in the system) with a double hose barb connector. My District Service Rep and I spent a half of a day finding the cause of this problem and the bypass was the "fix" until they engineered the new pump.

Mike

Great info and thanks for the bulletin #. I have 3 local dealers to choose from. I'll see who's the most willing to accept your explanation.
Thanks so much.

Great info and thanks for the bulletin #. I have 3 local dealers to choose from. I'll see who's the most willing to accept your explanation.
By the way, I installed a Racor the day I got it home and change every season.
Thanks so much.

Just remember....fuel starvation at high prolonged speeds and heavy load...just like your first post.

I the original dealer were doing their job right, they would have installed the racor when they installed the motor.

Mike

Just remember....fuel starvation at high prolonged speeds and heavy load...just like your first post.

I the original dealer were doing their job right, they would have installed the racor when they installed the motor.

Mike

I'll use your quote when I speak to them.
I agree and I should have caught it before I left with it. I'm a retired boat captain so I know the importance of a good w/s filter. Didn't realize it didn't have one till I got it home. Guess I was looking at other things at delivery.

I scheduled my repair today. Glad Mike helped me out including the bulletin number. Repair guy ran the serial # and came up empty. Then looked up the bulletin and voila', I was in. He even had the parts.
Is changing the high pressure filter a big job? I was going to let them do it at an estimated 1.5 to 2 hrs labor. Around $200 +/-. Sound about right?

Replacing the high pressure filter takes only about 10 minutes. You do not have to remove any side panels or anything. It is one of the easier ones to do.

$200 is way high for just the filter change. Hopefully, they are changing all the fluids, filters, plugs, etc throughout the motor. Then the $200 might be in order.

Are they maybe including the time for the fuel pump changeout? That all would be paid for by Honda, not you.

Mike

Nope, no other service. I see the filter at the top near the pump they're replacing. Can you tell me about where the high pressure filter is located? I'll do it myself.
Capt. John

It is accessed from the port side of the engine, near the front. It is about the level of the oil filter. There is a triangular cover ...see part #26 Try to imagine all of those parts put together. Part #40 is the filter.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I see the triangle metal cover up front but where can I access the parts breakdown with the numbers you're referring to?

I forgot to paste the link....the picture is not the greatest...

Be careful when removing the cover...the fuel in there may be under pressure. Place a rag over it when unscrewing to minimize any fuel splash.

When you get it back together, turn the key switch to on and wait 2 seconds for a few times to build up fuel pressure. Then check for any leaks around the cover.

Mike

I agree with you. They have to be mistaken on the hours required to do that! I'm guessing there's a seal on the filter at the cover end or does the o-ring I see do the job.
Man, you saved me some money and taught me a lot. I like to do my own service and you're the MAN!
Capt John

My 50 hp johnson starts out good but loses speed and it drops fast. It doesn't shut down just runs real slow. What could the problem be? I am new here and can't figure out how to post. Liz

You've figured out how to post :D I would try going to "forum home" then "Johnson Evinrude Forum" to post about your particular engine and year model. You probably also have a fuel issue but I'm not a pro like a lot of the folks on this forum. Repost your question in the Johnson forum and see what you come up with.
Capt. John

m
You've figured out how to post :D I would try going to "forum home" then "Johnson Evinrude Forum" to post about your particular engine and year model. You probably also have a fuel issue but I'm not a pro like a lot of the folks on this forum. Repost your question in the Johnson forum and see what you come up with.
Capt. John

Thank you for responding. I will go to that forum home. Liz

Upgraded pump and hoses were installed Monday. They also changed both engine fuel filters for $100. Sounded fair enough, especially since I brought the boat in at 8 am and was ready at noon! They thought my fuel smelled old but it was fresh with Stabil in it. I drained it any way and filled with non ethanol fuel and Stabil. Will run this weekend and hope the problem is solved.
Thanks for the help Mike. You're the best!
Capt John

Tracky,

Your serial number is in the range of potential failing units. Unfortunately, your warranty expired in July. Also, there is no name associated with the registration. Not that that is a big deal. The warranty followed the engine.

Did you by any chance take this to a dealer with the problem before that? If so, if you can document it, you might have a case with Honda to give you some consideration towards having a dealer do the work. It takes less than an hour to do.

If you are going to just go ahead and do the work yourself, you will need part number 06167-ZY9-000. It includes the pump and three new hoses.

Mike

It completely solved my problem. Very heavy load, WOT and just keeps cruising.
Thanks again Hondadude!
Tracky, I hope you get fixed up.

thank you for getting back to me. i just bought the boat about 2 months ago. this is the second time it happen, and yes when you pump the bulb it starts running fine again. i am going to replace this myself it will not be a problem. just did not know what part to order and replace. thank you for your help and information.
tracy

well i just replaced the fuel pump. was easy to do. thank you for everything this may have saved me a lot of time and money. will try boat next few weeks.
Tracy

the boat works great. we just went out on Sunday and used it at 3/4 speed most of the day and never slowed down, thank you Hondadude!!!!
its great when you can talk to someone that really knows what to do.
Thanks again :)
Tracy

Back