Logo

BF15 Oil present in carburettor and air chamber

cockrobin

Hi,
I have a 2002 15hp honda. I have recently accuired. I have had it out 5 times now, and on the fifrth time this problem occurred.

I was motoring for about ten minutes and noticed smoke comming from engine, i observed that the green light (oil temp) was good.

Inspecting under the hood, noticed oil coming from the carburettor drain hose.

Has any one had this problem ?

I stopped the engine, and didnt take any chances with it.

The oil seemed to come to air breather via the hose comming from sump ...

Please Help.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear your having problems. After reading your post I went to the parts page below to see if I could get any ideas for you. What jumps out at me is that this thing has an elaborate crankcase breather assembly. (Items 5,6,7,8,9)

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF15A2 XAS /CYLINDER/parts.html

I would suggest disassembling that and see if anything is out of place or clogged up in there.

Has your oil level been going up? The reason I ask is that these engines run too rich when they don't get warmed sufficiently due to stuck open thermostat. If that is happening, then gasoline vapor tends to settle and condense back to liquid in the crankcase causing the oil to be thinned and the level to rise. This in turn could cause an excess in crankcase pressure and feed the breather system oil.

Good luck.

Hi jgmo,

I have been reading as much on this as i can find, it all seem to resort back to what your suggesting, sounds similar to the term used quite allot, making oil.
Ive dropped the engine to a good marine mechanic, so lets see what happens.

Thanks so much for your help. Ill post up after the weekend and tell you how it goes.

Dave

Hi jgmo,

Had the engine out today, after getting it back from the service man.
Good news regarding the above mentioned issue. Ran it at full speed today on a few occasions, no issues with oil.
Service guy said the carb was so so dirty.
he also said he left a hose un-connected, said it was a good bet !!!

However, i wish i had his beside me today, engine did my head in.

Problem was :

Hard to start from cold, this i had mentioned to him, he didnt address it.-need help with this ????
Now, its hard to start it all the time, wasnt like this before..........
I have to bring trottle up to 3/4 before she starts and then drop to 1/4, strange when there is an auto choke.
Also: revs keep dropping when in idle.
it used to run at zero trottle, perfect, but now cuts out..

Please help ??????

Dave

Well, now I'm confused. Let me see if I have this straight.

You took the motor to a "good marine mechanic" and he cleaned the carburetor and now it is hard to start but was easy to start before taking it to him. Is that about right?

And, he says leaving a hose off is a "good bet!" Is that right? If so, what hose?

I guess you see where I'm headed. This does not sound like work done by a good mechanic. But, I am not perfect either and I usually encourage people to give the guy an opportunity to make it right. Of course that is with hoping he won't screw something else up.

Are you sure your choke is actually working? Do you have an owner's manual? Download one for free here:

http://marine.honda.com/Owners/Manuals/models/BF15

Post your engine's serial # (frame #) located on a label on the stern bracket. Hopefully it is there. Outboards that have been stolen usually have them missing. This number will enable others here that have all the info (I don't) to more easily help you solve your issues. I will do my best to help you but I have not worked on this particular outboard and I probably don't have the correct technical documentation. Others are watching though and they will jump in if we get too far off course.

Back