Logo

TAMD41 Lost All Oil Pressure And Oil is now in the bilge

neiloakley

Hi Everyone

I picked up my new (27 year old boat) on Saturday morning to bring it the*200 miles to my home marina.

Day 1 went OK except after a few hours of running at 2700RPM the fuel was down to a quarter tank in a head sea and the filter in the fiel/water seperator became blocked presumably from gunk at the bottom of the tank where it had been sat for approx 12 months on dry land.

Pulled into the nearest marina, got some spares and after bleeding the diesel lines she fired up. So far so good

The next morning we set off again. Engines were up to temperature and then opened up to 2700RPM again making 18 knots. I was driving from the flybridge and noticed the revs dropped to 400 on the port engine. But I was still making 18 knots and no rudder required to keep straight. I throttled back and up again and the engine was still producing power so assumed the tacho was broken.

Put engines to idle and went into the cockpit to use the guages there. The tacho downstairs was doing the same so lifted the engine cover to have a look. I could see oil spurting from the front of the engine (didn't have time to locate the exact source as the alarm sounded so I shut it down pronto).

Limped into the next marina on one engine and began to look around. The bilges were full of oil. I sucked out 12 litres in total so assuming the engine is almost completely empty now. Reading the forums and speaking to a volvo service engineer i'm leaning towards the crankshaft seal. The tacho stopped as it's driven off the alternator and there was oil on the belts so it was slipping.

What concerns me is that noone else has reported such a major leak from the crankshaft seal. Plenty of reports of drips but nothing so serious and quick as this. Am I barking up the wrong tree or could this seal cause so much oil to leak so quickly?

I plan on filling the engine with oil again and starting it to presureise the oil and try and see where it is coming from and shut it down before it all comes out. The volvo guy also recommended this.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? The boat is still 120nm from home and costing me money everday to keep in an expensive marina.

Cheers

Neil

Hi, sorry to hear your problem.
I suspect it is due to the engine being out of use for 12 months, oilseals are a favourite to go in engines after a long layup, so your plan to refill and retry is a good one.

If one has a problem there could be others, a little corrosion round the seal face will wreck a seal very quickly.

I hope it's not too expensive.

Steve

Check the oil filter housing. There are thing sheet metal covers for the oil bypass/pressure reg. The covers rust. You will need a mirror and a flash light.

I do not see a crank seal blowing that much oil out. you have a pressurized leak.

All the mess is on the front of the timing gear cover and the belts which would lead me to beleive it's not the oil filter housing. But i will certainy pay close attention to it when I run it up tonight.

Cheers

TAMD41 takes 2.5 gallons of oil, about 10 liters. There is no pressurized oil anywhere on the front timing cover near the belts. When you refill it and run it you will see the leak, since it was leaking at idle when you opened the hatch. Clean front cover as best you can, before starting so its easier to locate the leak.

Thank you stringer. If it's the crank seal then the oil is coming from the crankcase right? And just happens to come through the section of the timing cover with the crank pulley. And if it comes out behind the crank pulley then some will make it onto the belts there.

Thank you stringer. If it's the crank seal then the oil is coming from the crankcase right? And just happens to come through the section of the timing cover with the crank pulley. And if it comes out behind the crank pulley then some will make it onto the belts there.

Ok it's not the crank shaft seal. It's the oil cooler.

The end that's towards the front of the boat has corroded and the large o-ring has popped out.

:(

****, I didnt realize you are in UK, maybe you should fill out your location under the profile. But yeah, if you cover actual shipping cost I will send it anywhere you want. Volvo doesnt sell housing any more, and it used to cost $2000+ when it was available. This is my last housing.

PS Is your motor A, B or P?

Sorry my bad. Didn't think someone on here would have one to sell. Happy to cover cost of postage to UK but need it before the weekend as i'm using a visitor berth in a marina 100 miles from home. Is it new/recon/or straight off an old engine?

Not sure if it's A or B. Here is a link to the boat advert which has a good picture of the engine if that helps.

http://www.harbouryachts.co.uk/show_boats_for_sale.php?stock_id=SEKP 1103&boat=Fairline-Corniche 31

This is what my cooler looks like. Its the part number 4 that has blown out the end because the casing is corroded.

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7745630-26-19459.aspx

Looks like it's £129 (or $206) to get it shipped by UPS to the UK and guaranteed to get to me by 12pm on Thursday which is perfect. If it matches the one in the link in my last post and your happy to wrap and take it to UPS then I can transfer $1100 USD via paypal straight away. Just PM me with the info.

Cheers

Neil

UPS Worldwide Express[SUP]SM[/SUP] (This is a zone 857 shipment)

Guaranteed By:
12:00 P.M.
Thursday 31 May 2012

Rates
UPS Worldwide Express[SUP]SM[/SUP]
105.70 GBP
UPS Import Control[SUP]SM[/SUP] - Electronic Label 0.85 GBP
Declared Value 3.65 GBP
Fuel Surcharge 19.03 GBP
Shipment Total: 129.23 GBP

Rate estimates are based on import rates of the destination
(import to) country, and include a label accessorial fee.

Rates may vary at retail locations. Result estimates
calculated by UPS: Monday 28 May 2012 7:58 P.M. Eastern Time (USA)

icn_back_arrow.gif
1.gif

[h=3]Shipment Information[/h]

Shipment Details

Ship To:
RM12 4HB, UNITED KINGDOM
Ship From:
PALM BEACH, 33480, UNITED STATES
Shipment Date:
Tuesday 29 May 2012
Total Shipment Weight:
6 kg
Customs Value:
100.00 GBP
Drop-off / Collection?
I will drop off my prepaid package(s)
Rates may vary at retail
locations.

Destination Type:
Residential
Number of Packages:

Duty Type:
01 - Dutiable

Your engines are A model, cooler we have is reconditioned and ready to install (all new o-rings, acid-dipped cooling element, etc). We are Penta Dealer for the last 40 years, and have serviced hundreds of coolers. They are getting harder to get nowadays, since Volvo discontinued them a while back. Please send email to [email protected] and I will send you photos of the cooler tomorrow morning. Do you use metal pipes or rubber hoses to connect raw water to the cooler??? We dont have pay pal, but can do wire transfer or maybe credit card (i have to check). I understand you are in a bind and will try to get you back on the water ASAP

Last edited:
Back