Logo

2004 F150 gas issue Bad MPG

Captart

I have a 2004 Polar cuddy with 2004 F150 ,s. Last year my mileage was roughly 2.5 to 3 mpg running @ 3400 rpm using gas with 10% ethanol and additive. The motors ran fine. In Novemeber 2011 I started buying ethanol free gas and since than my mpg is drastically reduced . As of late, I am averaging 1 mpg using the boat 3 to 4 days per week. Nothing has changed i.e. weight of boat, running speed, etc. etc. . The engines have 1200 hours and regular maintenance is performed, ( oil changes, lower unit, fuel/water seperators, plugs thermostats gas filters. etc. I put a fuel pressure gauge on both engines average around 40 psi. Recently checked plugs after 6 hours of being replaced and each plus was carboned up and black yet the engines run like champs. I have paid mechanics to check things out, computer check and only thing they come up with is engines burning rich. Is there an inherent problem with the 04 models. I few years ago someone mentioned that the omission of oxygen sensors or something like that wa an issue. I need to find an answer because I cannot afford the gas or need to purchase a sail. Any advise appreciated . Again , the only thing that haas changed is that I am using better ethanol free gas.... Thanks Art

Go back to ethanol fuel to test. See if the MPG comes back. Or,

The temp sensor in the head can be bad, causing a rich condition. It will not set a code, it just feeds the wrong temp to the computer telling it that the engine is cold.

Back