Logo

454xli fuel problem

J

J.Muscella

"Does anybody know if a 1993/1

"Does anybody know if a 1993/1994 454xli throttle body, has a fuel pump relay? I am not getting any fuel. I changed the fuel pump. Voltage is erratic. When I jump the fuel pump with 12v, engine starts and runs fine. I take the jumper off and engine stalls. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John"

"Thanks Rick, I asked because

"Thanks Rick, I asked because I can't find it on the parts list or diagram for that engine. I searched all over the internet. I'll try again"

"That system has a master igni

"That system has a master ignition system relay which also powers the fuel pump. PN is 98175. Since this relay also powers the ignition, I do not feel it is your problem. There is a 10A fuel pump circuit breaker which could well be your problem. Remove the black plastic cover which houses the relay and breakers. Test for voltage at the breaker connections. I don't have the wiring schematic in front of me so I can't tell you for sure which wire feeds the pump, but you should be able to trace it.

Also check the pins in the J1 and J2 connectors on the ECM. Make sure there is no damage or corrosion present. Be sure to inspect the harness thoroughly also. It is possible that the harness has chaffed somewhere and is shorting.

Good luck."

"Rick,
Thanks for your help.

"Rick,
Thanks for your help. To give you an update, and for other readers. The ignition relay #98175, also controls the fuel pump, it's kind of like 2 relays in one. Nobody local had the part in stock so I went to a local auto parts store and got a GP-Sorensen part #MR44 relay, put it in and it started right up.
Thanks again,
John"

Back