Logo

restricted water flow

iflyfish

Had an overheat this week. Shut down and came in on the trolling motor (no damage to the engine). When I got home I pulled the thermostat. WOW full of junk (shale? sand? salt?). Got that out. but the water will not flow from the bottom up.
I replaced the entire pump assy. No change. Water runs GREAT if I connect to the hose connection on the upper unit, or stuff the end of the water hose into the thermostat opening. The water runs out of the tube where the impeller connects good (with the foot off). Checked for anything clogging the feed in the foot. Everything is wide open.

When I run the motor with muffs or in a tank I can feel air coming from the tell tale? I ran weed whacker string 3 1/2 feet up through the tube the pump connects to.
I can't figure out where the channels run looking at my breakdown book. I'm just trying to find a spot I can run that line in another way.
Suggestions/Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Fish, you havn't mentioned the fact that you rechecked the pump assembly ie) what you dread doing the most.I always assume that what I just did is correct but is that True? Somtimes it is but sometimes it isnot.Always seek the Truth and set yourself FREE!!!
Go back and see if the impeller is turning when you rotate the shaft.It is always good to ceck the a new impeller assembly in water not on muffs,but thats real true for big motors.
Good luck

Good advice moon man. To eliminate anything from the lower unit, I went back and jack-legged a plastic tube into the feed (where the impeller pumps the water up). It will not run with the full pressure from the hose. So it has to be in the top. I did notice a lot of water escapes from around where the tube feeds the upper unit but I cannot see where it is coming from. I'm trying to pump compressed air through it now. I can feel quite a bit of air coming through the tell tale but I also hear a lot of air escaping up inside where the water tube disappears.

Back