Logo

1996 Yamaha 115

drdingbats

I have a 96 two stroke 115 Yamaha that will start right up and run fine, but if I drive it about a mile or so and shut if off, it won't start, or even fire. I can wait approx 30 minutes and then bump the starter and it takes off. After this episode, it doesn't do it again. I will be fishing and leave it off for an hour or so and it will start right up. If I leave out of the cove and drive it for 10-15 minutes to the main part of the lake, it doesn't do this. It starts every time. Its not making sense to me of what it is doing and what is causing this to happen. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

does it crank (starter motor spin)with key switch and no start? bump starter meaning bypass key switch and bypass solenoid to start? wont fire= no spark?
few options main power relay bad, ignition key switch, starter solenoid, lanyard switch short need more specific info for further help

the motor will turn over with the starter, it just won't try to fire. If I let it sit for 20 min or so, it will start right up and not do it again. I went to the same spot on Friday last week and let the engine idle the entire time, and then went out to the main lake and it didn't give me any trouble. It is like it isn't warm enough, but that doesn't explain why it won't even try to start.

After the engine has been running for a while, and while it is running, touch the cylinder heads and see if they are hot. If they are not, your t-stats are stuck open or the cylinder head water jacket gasket has a hole in it. If the engine cannot get to running temp, it will condensate water in the combustion chamber and cancel the spark from the plug. After it sits the water evaporates and the engine will restart.

On that engine it will only take one side to cause your problem.

Back