Logo

2002 Yamaha 15 hp overcharging

kinger

I have a 2002 Yamaha 15 hp outboard seems to be over charging at 14.9 to 15, replaced rectifier regulator didn't change anything still charges the same. Here is what else I have tried for some tests, disconected all accesories off the battery still charges high, hooked up another battery and charges the same way. Cleaned all connections. The batteries seem to be good because when I run my main motor the voltage is good and at anywhere from 13.2 to 14.2. Here is what I'm generally running off of the battery two graph gps combos, stereo, temp sensor, marine radio. If I turn on my heavy duty halogen lights the voltage will drop to 12.2 to 13.2. Is there any concern here or is this just how these outboards charge. Thanks Matt

14.8 is the ideal limit.....dont worry about 14.9 or 15.....you got more equipment than i would run off my start battery but i dont see a problem until you turn on those lights....you are stressing the system at that point...

Thanks for the info the battery I am running all the accessories off of is my secondary battery I have my main motor hooked up to the starting battery so I always have a fully charged battery but my main motor alternator charges both batteries. Thanks

it sounds like you have a straight wire parallel connection between the batteries with no diode protection if the voltage on the main battery is dropping like that when you turn on the lights etc...this is a no-no in my book...just an opinion but its based on experience...and not a pleasant experience i may add...many years ago..

I had papys experience I think.I had to run a Powerwench on my shrimp trawler and I too was trying to pick fly**** out the pepper.I sought out the advice of an old 12 volt motor rewinder, WW II veteran,really awsome Old Gent.Had about 3000 sq ft shop about to cave in with $500,000 worth of old Copper wound motors.Anyway You get the picture.He told me to stop complicating things and connect the Pos. posts together and the Neg. posts together and take either batteryto use for the disconnect switch.You should have some kind of disconnect for the Batt. He said its "One Big Vat of Juice anyhow"

Back