Logo

Volvo tamp41p-a alarm does not sound when alarm test pressed

SteveScott

I have a TAMD41P-A engine with an electrical control panel including alarm lights and buzzer.
I test the engine alarm using the test button before I start the engine (as recommended), recently however on one occasion it didn't work, then the next time it did, but now the alarm never sounds on test and the engine high water temperature light does not come on at all (it should show for 20sec on startup).

Clearly running with the alarm system possibly not working is not good to stress levels.... so I need to fix it.

During my investigation I established that the buzzer works (when power is applied it sounds) and the alarm test switch works and with the aid of a shorting wire and a resistance meter established that the wiring appears to be good of at least the parts i could check without cutting insulation back.

It appears to me that the sealed engine alarm module (VP 873 737) must be faulty as I can't think of anything else it could be. The snag is it is a pretty expensive part, around the 172 GBP mark is the lowest cost I've found so I'm not too keen to buy one on spec.

Has anyone out there heard of this problem before, is it likely a faulty engine alarm module or is there some other common cause?

Also I'd welcome recommendation for where to buy items such as the alarm module at reasonable prices.

Thanks

Back