Logo

DF 70 starting issue

Sbs Fishing

Hey guys, new here. I have a 2000 DF 70 that has been so good, by far the best motor I've ever had. I have 2 issues going....first, sometimes it seems as if I'm not getting enough power to start my motor....even though the batteries are good. When I turn the key it sounds like it's not getting enough juice.....I will turn the key off then on again and it fires right up like there's plenty of juice....? Also, just the other day.....normally when it does turn over it starts EVERY time.....now it is turning over but not firing up?.....as if my fuel pump just went out....weird for how good this motor has been....anybody have these issues? Want to avoid paying for someone else going through it when I can fix / replace what needs to be done....just need some direction.Thanks

Hey guys, new here. I have a 2000 DF 70 that has been so good, by far the best motor I've ever had. I have 2 issues going....first, sometimes it seems as if I'm not getting enough power to start my motor....even though the batteries are good. When I turn the key it sounds like it's not getting enough juice.....I will turn the key off then on again and it fires right up like there's plenty of juice....? Also, just the other day.....normally when it does turn over it starts EVERY time.....now it is turning over but not firing up?.....as if my fuel pump just went out....weird for how good this motor has been....anybody have these issues? Want to avoid paying for someone else going through it when I can fix / replace what needs to be done....just need some direction.Thanks

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be my A/B/all/off battery switch. When you say batteries I assume you have a similar switch installed. My switch had a dead short that was causing my problem I even bought new batteries since I though mine were weak.
A good way to check it is to simply bypass the switch and run directly on one battery if the problem goes away replace the switch and go back to the two battery setup.

I have the same motor with same problem. Took it to shop and they said the charging system was weak. A good battery has enough power to start it but as you run, the motor pulls too much power from the battery and when you kill it the battery has to recover before it can give full amperage to start normally. The next thing that happened was it would turn over but not start until 3 or 4 tries. The shop put a $247.00 part in the charging system and this fixed both problems. Mechanic said the charging system is very sensitive in this motor. If you run it without a battery for a second or try to jump start it you can ruin the charging system and can cause these problems. Thinking back this is what I did.

Back