Logo

Gel coat question

st louis

I have a bunch of scratches in my gel coat. So I sanded them out. I ended with a 1000 grit sandpaper. I then used rubbing compound. After that I used wax. The finish still looks dull compaired to the area I didn't do. Is there anything else I can use to bring the luster back?

1000 grit isn't fine enough for a polished finished, even with a polishing compound unless you polish for a very very very long time. Depending on the situation, I've used as high as 3000 grit but if you had to go to 1000 to get your scratches out you will have to work up to 2000, 2500, or 3000 in steps or it will take a very long time. You may be able to go from 2000 to a polishing compound. Hand polishing works but it takes a long time and is a lot of work. Bondo is right about the power buffer as that will speed things up but very careful you don't want to remove more gel coat than is necessary. I've had great results wet sanding by hand to 2000 or greater and then finishing with a polishing compound with electric buffer. 3M Finesse It 2 is a good product I've had good luck with.

Ok, I probably should look at the dates of the question before I type a reply. I'm sure you've figured it out by now!

Last edited:
Back