Logo

2007 50 4 stroke starves out

guido2

Regular Contributor
Motor starving out accelerating up from an idle and dies. Customer says apply the choke while the problem is occurring will help some. I tried a different fuel tank and checked top carb and it is spotless. Replaced fuel filter which was also very clean. Customer said he added stabil and some fresh gas this spring. I used his original gas in my replacement gas tank. The original fuel hose and squeeze bulb appear fine and produces and holds good pressure. Motor is very low on total hours. The accelerator dashpot is producing good pulses. What is the test procedure for the fuel pump? What could be the other suspect parts? Thanks, Tim

What is the compression?

Valve clearances may need adjusting.

Carburators vacuum balanced?

New spark plugs - NGK DR7EA Do not substitute another brand.

All that being said, most likely, the idle and transition passages in the carburators are somewhat clogged and/or idle mixture settings are off. The idle mixture screws probably have limit caps on them...if not, they should be 2 1/8 turns out.

The transition passages come out the small pin size holes at the top of the carburators. You have to disassemble the carbs to make sure that they spray properly. Unless there is something else obvious, my money is on the transition passages.

If the motor runs good at higher speeds, then the fuel pump is probably ok. If in doubt, have someone squeeze the fuel bulb as someone tries to accelerate the boat. If it helps, then you are on the right track....but I do not think it will help.

Mike

Ya like Honda dude said sounds like carb issues
Choking motor will give her extra fuel and less air may run higher rpm for a few second then die
Best advise to start remove carb clean out jets ports passages reinstall sync them up and give it another whirl sitting and carbs don't mix very well good luck

Going with my info here I thoroughly cleaned all 3 carbs, checking dashpot output and main jets cleaned with .052 machine size drill bit (slowly by hand not using a drill). Then synchronized up carbs, idle mixture only 1/2 turn adjustment available (stamped on limiters) I left them at full rich as originally marked from Honda. Spayed air pressure/carb cleaner through transition passages. Orface too tiny to put anything through, but air/cleaner passed by good. Still haven't heard from customer if he tested it yet on the water. It ran great on the hose. I'll post if I hear from him. Things are set so lean now that any deposits......sometimes you can't even see them......inside the main jets, will affect the performance dramatically. Especially with a jet like these which have such a long narrow passage for their small size. Thanks Tim

Back