Logo

2005 Mercrusier V6 Dieseled to Death

jim_mills

"I received my 2005 Alumaweld

"I received my 2005 Alumaweld Intruder Sterndrive in March 2005, after waiting 5 months for it to be built. I had to return it to the dealer in May 2005 for dieseling issues.
Now after only 18 months of ownership and less than 80 hours on the engine it it is now back at the dealership with what I'm being told as water ingestion due to dieseling and neither Mercury or my extended warrianty will cover this and now I'm being asked to pony up $6000.00 for a new engine. The dealership will not comment on what may have caused it to diesel or even what they did to fix it when I took it to them the first time.
Is there any information available that I would be able to get Mercury or the dealership to re-evaluate their position?"

"They had problems with run-on

"They had problems with run-on before. I posted a lot of info from a Mercruiser service bulletin before- do a search for it here. IIRC, the bulletin number was 97-17. If you can't find it, I'll repost from the original."

Bummer - I would try to small

Bummer - I would try to small claims court if I could prove that the problem was caused by the dealer and they refused to take responsibility for their work.

"They didn't fix the probl

"They didn't fix the problem the last time, so they are required to make it right.

Why do you need to replace the motor- are there bent rods or toasted bearings? What went bad? If it's just water in the cylinders and the starter died, that can be fixed pretty easily.

Google Mercruiser bulletin 97-17 and hand it to the dealer. Make it known that you know that there have been a lot of problems with run-on. When I called Merc technical this summer, the first guy I talked to wasn't there when the bulletins went out so I had to tell him about it and tole him to talk to one of the old-timers. He faxed it to me within about 1/2 hour. Talk to other dealers and find out exactly why yo need to replace the motor. If the dealer just wants an addition on his house, tell him to screw himself. If they know there's water in the cylinders and haven't done anything to get it out, they have damaged your motor and you should sue to have them pay for the repairs. Cast iron does not like water. Cast iron that has been machined to specific tolerances should not get wet, much less have water in the cylinders for any length of time. "

"Did they Fix the Dieseling 18

"Did they Fix the Dieseling 18 Months,+ 80hrs ago,..??..??.....
If Not,........
Why would you continue to Run it for 18 months,+ 80hrs,..??..??....

I'm Sorry,.......... But, the way I read it,......

You Allowed it to Happen..............
If you had a Known Problem,+ Did Nothing about it,.......

Why should Mercruiser, or anybody else Pay for it,..??..??........."

Back