Logo

BF150 : Critical Parts---What To Carry When in a Remote Location

marketic

Contributing Member
hey Guys,

I've got some big plan for this summer---I'm trailering the boat up the spine of Vancouver Island, then launching at Port Hardy and going 100 miles north up Queen Charlotte Strait to go fish king salmon nirvana. Definitely a remote location. I have a BF150 with 500 hours and a BF9.9 with 100 hours. Both run extremely well

Both have new impellers, new T-stats and the BF150 was recently fitted with new plugs, new high pressure and a new low pressure fuel filters and the water separator was cleaned. I have spare fuel/water filters for the Raycor and back-up propellers for both motors

Taking that into consideration, what would be the top 5 or 10 spare parts you guys would carry in your boat to be prepared for a mechanical problem?

thanks for any comments out there from guys who have "been there and done that" with big Hondas

Sounds like a great fishing trip.

On the props, I would also have the thrust washer, castle nut and cotter pin for each. Besides the spare prop, here is what I normally carry on extended trip (it's an old 25 ft cabin boat with a single Honda 225)....

Extra can of hydraulic fluid
Hose and connectors for flushing engine
Tool kit with appropriate socket set, wrenches, screw drivers, etc, etc..
Electrical repair kit, including a full set of replacement fuses, cutters, crimps, different size butt connectors and terminal connectors, voltmeter, heat shrink tubing, etc.
Duct tape, WD-40, Marine Tex
Spare quart of oil for topping off.
Spare kill switch clip (saved my ass one day when a passanger accidently hit and broke the main one 30 miles out in the Gulf Stream)
Spare bilge drain plug
Wash down soap and brush
This may be overboard, but I have a second DSC equipped VHF radio and antenna on my boat. Most of my fishing friends have invested in a hand-held.

VHF-Registered EPIRB-Sea Tow membership-emergency case of beer... for waiting for Sea Tow to show up:)

Seriously, if you've never fished/navigated these waters, file a float plan with someone, just in case, so that they can call the Coast Guard when you can't.

I hope you have a great trip and tell us all about it when you get back.

All valuable recommendations, Gents-- the case of beer will be long gone when Sea Tow shows up, --- I don't think Canadian waters has that option, at least not up in that part of the world.

Castle nut for the spared prop---excellent suggestion, c_hawkman. Bent a prop last year up in Canada and managed to lose a nice socket head when changing it out (tied to a dock while sitting in a small inflatable raft)---I remember thinking--if your castle nut goes where that socket head just went you're going to have to shoot yourself because that's the end of the trip....

Alot of the items you mentioned I have covered (or planned on covering) Regarding the fuses---I have fuses for the electronics but not for the BF150. I've never torn into that part of the engine. Are they standard fuses (like the typical marine bus fuses) or are they special order?

Also, are there any belts or mechanical parts specific to the BF150 or the BF9.9 to consider (other then a spare thrust washer and castle nut?

thanks again

Not sure what fuses you have on the 150. Your owners manual should cover that. If not, just take off the cover, find the fuse box, and see what they are using.

As for spare parts, I don't think you can anticipate what might go wrong. Mike (HondaDude) might jump in and address that issue since he's very familiar with that engine.

You should already have spare of each fuse on both motors...but a few more would not hurt.

The guys have pretty much covered most of the things. The 150 and the 9.9 are pretty dependable engines.

Be sure to take along and use a good fuel treatment to use all the time. I have heard of issues with fuel in Canada and the Hondas.

It is just me...even though you have just changed the impellers, I would take a spare impeller kit for each motor. A spare fuel bulb for 5/16th inch hose would work for either motor. Take some extra hose clamps or wire ties.

Make sure your batteries are in good shape and fully charged. Some solar type charging device, in case an alternator goes out (not very probable...but if it is going to go out, it will be on your trip)

I guess I could go on and on, but your boat may not float and you will not have any room for the fish.

Have fun!

Mike

I second that fuse! If you just short the battery that thing will blow and your charging circuit gone and you'll get the buzzer. Everytime i putz with the batteries on my 130 i blow the darn thing. Last time i ordered i got several...oh and have bought more plastic covered tools like composit ratchet from HF.

Back