Logo

BF HONDA 130 Won't start

Kingfish 1977

I have a 2002 HONDA BF 130 I had it winterized in November by a licensed tech. Abount three weeks ago it started and idled fine. I started it yesterday before putting it in the water and it ran fine and then while idling stoped running all together. Now it will not restart. I have changed or cleaned all of the fuel filters and have tried to run it off an auxiliary tank with fresh gas but it still will not even cough. Over the winter I changed to a two battery system using a Blue Sea battery combiner. This required hooking a lead to the solenoid. This is the only change I have made. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume that it cranks....and your squeeze bulb is hard.

You did not say if when you ran it off another tank, if you drained/flushed the fuel system. Drain the vapor separator into a jar and see if you have water or debris in it. Could very well be there is bad fuel still in it....if it is a fuel issue. The 130's are very picky when it comes to fuel.

When you turn your key switch to on, do you get two beeps and do your warning lights stay on for 2 seconds then go off (except for the charge light)?

If so, can you hear your high pressure fuel pump running for those two seconds. It should.

That only accounts for the fuel...

Check to be sure that your safety landyard is still connected properly. It may have come loose....thus no spark.

To check spark, use a timing light on the spark plugs wires and see if it flashes. If it does, you most likely have spark. Be sure to be using only NGK ZFR7F.

There are a few things to get you started.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the response.Yes the engine cranks and the ball is hard. This afternoon I drained the VST and i also changed the plugs for good measure. There was still not even a cough. Is there a chance the VST filer is clogged?

Charlie

IQUOTE=hondadude;384087]I assume that it cranks....and your squeeze bulb is hard.

You did not say if when you ran it off another tank, if you drained/flushed the fuel system. Drain the vapor separator into a jar and see if you have water or debris in it. Could very well be there is bad fuel still in it....if it is a fuel issue. The 130's are very picky when it comes to fuel.

When you turn your key switch to on, do you get two beeps and do your warning lights stay on for 2 seconds then go off (except for the charge light)?

If so, can you hear your high pressure fuel pump running for those two seconds. It should.

That only accounts for the fuel...

Check to be sure that your safety landyard is still connected properly. It may have come loose....thus no spark.

To check spark, use a timing light on the spark plugs wires and see if it flashes. If it does, you most likely have spark. Be sure to be using only NGK ZFR7F.

There are a few things to get you started.

Mike[/QUOTE]

It could be. If you have not every changed it, you probably should anyway.

Before you go ordering more parts, listen for the fuel pump in the vapor separator. It should run for about two seconds when you turn the key switch to "on". If this does not run, your motor is not going to run.

If you can hear it run, you can check the fuel pressure off of the vst by removing the bolt from the cap that holds in the high pressure filter and inserting a fuel pressure guage.

Since you probably do not have a gauge, remove the bolt (it may be under pressure, so use a rag to protect yourself from any fuel spray. This is not standard practice, but in a pinch, have someone hold a rag close to the bolt hole (use protective glasses) and have someone else turn the key switch to "on" again. If fuel streams out of the hole, your pump is most likely working ok. Without a gauge, it is really impossible to tell for sure.

If everything seems to be "flowing", then it is time to check the ignition.

Make sure that all of the spark plugs are installed and all of the wires connected. Connect a timing light to each spark plug wire and have someone try to start the engine. If the light flashes, most likely you have spark. Again, without using a spark tester, you really do not know for sure. If there is no flash, you do know for sure that you do not have spark.

If you have both fuel and spark, then you must check your compression.

If compression is good, then you will have to check the timing....hopefully, we will not have to get to that.

We are just trying to verify what we have and what we do not have.

You need compression, spark, and fuel all combined in the proper manner at the proper time.

I hope you do not feel that this is a wild goose chase.

Mike

Honda Dude. I changed the fuel filter on the VST as you suggested. I then followed your advice and removed the bolt from the high pressure fuel filter on the VST. I then cranked it and no fuel came out. I can hear the fuel pump running. Do you have any thoughts on what it could be. Thanks

Pump the squeeze bulb until it is hard and try it again. You most likely emptied a lot of the VST when you changed the high pressure filter.

If the motor is not running or cranking, the only thing putting fuel into the vst is the squeeze bulb.

Mike

Hi All, I was reviewing this thread and am having the same issue. I started my engine up this past Saturday and it ran fine. I was docked out at an island all day then went to start the engine to go home. When I went to start it, I heard the two beeps and the engine cranked then turned over for roughly a second or two then shut off. Immediately after and currently, when I go to start the engine by turning the key to the ON position, I do NOT hear the two beeps as you mention in the above response in this thread. Below are the things I have confirmed.

1) I changed the fuel primer bulb and the fuel line within that attaches to the engine on one end, and the fuel water separator on the other. I confirm it is primed and the bulb is hard with fuel. The fuel is being pumped to the filters within with no blockages. My fuel tank is full with 89 octane fuel that was pumped in it roughly a month or two ago.

2) I have changed the spark plugs completely. They are tight and in place correctly. I even sprayed some starter fluid in the spark plugs to see if when I attempted to start the engine if it would try and run then cut off. It wouldn't attempt to turn over at all which leads me to believe no spark is getting to the spark plugs. I did confirm at each connection point from the key switch to the electrical connections prior to the component before the spark plugs, that they have 12 volts.

3) I got corrosion off of the two batteries that I have and each connection point is now clean and giving 12 volts when using the electrical reader.

4) I disconnected the kill switch and hooked it up to an electrical device. The kill switch is working appropriately and has been reinstalled appropriately.

5) I did order a new Honda BF 130 Part number 37552-ZW7-1A Potted Key Switch Assembly to completely replace the key switch as it is very old. This hasn't come in yet but when it does, I will install and see if it was a faulty key switch.

6) The four fuel line filters in this motor were replaced last July and aren't a year old yet but we confirmed fuel is reaching them.

Any idea on what could be causing me to NOT get the two beeps when turning the engine key switch to the ON position?

Back