Logo

Honda BF 90 Fuel Leak Lower Fuel Pump

I have a 1998 Honda bf 90 that has been running pretty good, today after cleaning the boat and checking the oil with the cowling off, I started pumping the fuel bulb and there was a small spray on the boat side fuel line that comes off of the "T" connector before the lower fuel pump. The next day I crank her up and while she was running no spray, no fuel leak, but when i pump the bulb until its maximum its spray again shortly and stops as soon as I let go of the fuel primer. Should I change the hose going to the fuel pump or is that acceptable seeing how it does not leak while running when the bulb is not excessively primed?

Change the fuel line. It is under pressure when you squeeze the bulb...that is why it squirts....but it is under a vacuum when the motor is running, due to the pump sucking in the fuel. That is why it does not spray when the motor is running.

Why change the hose??? Besides the environmental issues and potential fire dangers, the split in the hose will can allow the fuel pump to suck air at higher speeds, causing the motor to falter.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I will change it tomorrow, couple more quick questions on the honda bf 90, what is the going rate for a mechanic cleaning the carbs and sync them say i need them cleaned in the future and also what is the amp output of the alternator on that model, I want to say it is 16 amps but could never confirm it. And is NGK the recommended plug for that motor?

Last edited:
Yes, it is rated for 16 amps. Check the specifications section of the owner's manual. If you do not have one, you can download one for free from the Honda website http://marine.honda.com/Owners/Manuals/models/BF90EFI

As for the cost of a carb job. It can vary, but it done properly and the needle, jet set, o rings and gaskets are replaced, then you can probably expect $900 - $1000...depending on labor rate. Each carb does take some time to be sure that all the passages are flowing correctly. Besides vacuum balancing the carbs, the motor should be tested under load.

That should generate some discussion.... I am sure many will say that they can do them in a couple of hours. Just keep in mind, that if there is a running issue that you have narrowed down to the carbs, it would be good to find the cause of the issue. Sometimes it is not that apparent.

Also.... saw you comment on another post....his motor was just recently serviced with synthetic oil. Do not use synthetic oil. If you fee that you must, wait until you have about 1000 hours on your motor. Otherwise, use the standard 10w30 that the owner's manual specifies.

Mike

Back