Logo

Gas assist tilt ?

yvonat

Hi
I change my 97 BF 25 for a 06 BF 30 with a gas assist tilt . There only 3 pin location to adjust the trim , I had 5 on my previous motor . I got it at the last hole and its not trim enough . Is that gas assist desing to operate like a power trim and I can lock it and go at WOT or I have to figure a way to shim the motor at the desire tilt . I ask the local honda dealer but they never saw a model with a gas assist tilt , they couln't help me .

I do not know. Try it and see how it works. It does work like the trim and tilt in reverse.

Let us know what you find.

Mike

Never seen one either. But, if it doesn't hold a position, it WILL stop at max trim so I see no need in worrying. Just try it, like Mike says, and see what happens.

Well guy's , it's not design for that . At WOT the pressure pop the valve sending the motor against the stern , have to replace both swivel and stern bracket now . I will replace the gas assist tilt for a power trim , no more gas assits for me ...

I'm very sorry to hear that you had that happen to you.

I've seen those lower ends RAMMED from behind by other boats at speed and not cause that sort of damage so I thought those components were much tougher than that.

The scary thing is that it could also happen with a tilt trim if it failed "in flight". How far out, in inches, were you testing it when this happened?

Again, yvonat, I'm sorry this happened.

I started at 1/2 " . It was going good so I increase the distance until my boat was planing at its best , I was about 1.5 to 1.75 " when it let go . Not a big deal as I only have to replace the parts that are broken and not the hole bracket itself . Its not as bad as it look on the spot when it hapen .

Well I'm glad the damage isn't too bad and I will never suggest that anyone to try THAT again!

Good luck with your trim re-fit. I( hope that works a little better for you.

Back