Logo

1998 Honda BF90A new to me

Bardcard

I have just purchased the above motor on a 1996 Javelin.
Motor runs great now. Have had it out twice.
Any suggestions on things I should look out for?
What smart maintenance tips does anyone have?
Any issues with this motor
I tried to do some research before purchasing, but could not get much info. Could not get on this forum at the time.
Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks

I also just purchase a 1998 Honda bf 90, from my hours of research on the net from various forums I have found out to only run only ethanol free fuel, make sure to use some sort of fuel stabilizer ie, sea-foam or stabil ethanol treatment and use a quality spin on fuel water separator. I also heard on those motor that you do not want to crank it for more than 5 seconds because the starters burn up easily. The only issue that I have read is the carbs can get fouled easily, but other than that the motors are pretty much bullet proof. The best thing for the Honda's from what I read is to run them and not to let them sit up to long and if you do, then drain the carbs before you store it. I know so far I am enjoying mine and have been out 10 times on it and its reliability is great.

Thanks for the inputs. From what records I have, the oil and filter was recently changed with Castrol synthetic oil, the water pump replaced, lower unit oil replaced. I have the original owners manual, but have not looked into the service manual yet.
I can do regular maintenance, but getting into the motor may be too much for me.
The spin on seperator you mention, where is it located? On the motor, or is this an add on to standard?
Thanks

The spin on fuel filter should be after your fuel tank and is before the motor, i would recommend a racor with the sight glass on the bottom, that way if you have water in the fuel you can see it and drain it without removing the filter.

Back