Logo

BF 25 runs on full choke only

gporter

Low hours engine; ran well last fall; carbs drained last fall; drains closed this am; new gas; new battery; engine fires and runs only in full choke position!!!:confused:
Ideas needed
Thanks

Dirty carb. not getting fuel clean out carb jets and idle circuit. Some time sitting fuel dries out forms a sticky varnish film and tend to plug the fuel jets

Having to use the choke clearly indicates carburetor problems !--------On a low hours motor the carburetors likely sat with fuel in them for long periods of time.This tends to plug up the tiny jets and passage ways.-------Always run fuel out of these motors when the motor is going to sit for more than a week.--------------Carburetors must be taken apart to be cleaned !

You might want to try "backflooding" the carbs by injecting WD-40 into float chambers via the drains. Then move to a spay carb cleaner and do the same thing a couple of times prior to pulling them off and cleaning. Works sometimes with lightly soiled float bowls. But, I'm guessing the other guys are correct and you need to go through them. Just a "quickie" you can try before biting the bullet.

You might want to try "backflooding" the carbs by injecting WD-40 into float chambers via the drains. Then move to a spay carb cleaner and do the same thing a couple of times prior to pulling them off and cleaning. Works sometimes with lightly soiled float bowls. But, I'm guessing the other guys are correct and you need to go through them. Just a "quickie" you can try before biting the bullet.

Sound like it well worth trying - but why WD40 and not carb cleaner spray for the back flush?
Thanks

I don't think it makes a real big difference at all. It's just that I find that I can purchase WD-40 a little cheaper than the carb spray and, even though it is not a very good lubricant, it DOES contain some lubricity and it has a sort of "foaming action" that I think helps loosen dirt. The carburetor inlet valve is made of some porous material and I think the WD helps keep it from sticking in the metal valve seat.

Other than that, it smells better and is nicer to your skin...especially on a cold, dry day.

But I don't think I'd argue with you if you chose to just use carb spray. Just remember, don't look in the straw when you push the button!:)

Back