Logo

BF40 Starting Problems

FGH

Hi All - New to this site and definitely need help.

I have a 2002 BF40 that hasn't been run in several years. Motor is in pristine condition, low hours, always stored inside. Having trouble getting it started - turns over fine but won't pop. Here is what I've done so far: New gas tank w/fresh gas, oil change (engine & lower unit), new battery. Plugs are in good shape, but I have new ones on order along with a new fuel filter (at least I can eliminate those from the equation). Assuming new plugs & filter doesn't help, where do I go next? What other steps can I take to troubleshoot this puppy?

Thanks in advance,
FGH

FGH, did you verify that you are getting spark at the plugs? That's one of the basic things to check. Compression is also important, so you'll want to verify that. Finally, you need fuel delivered in the right amount at the right time. Let us know what you find. BTW, are you located in Maine?

Couldn't argue with what freeportd has to say. I just have a suggestion for finding those things out quickly and easily.

First, make certain that your problem isn't in the kill switch. Usually you can unplug it to test but then you will need to full choke the engine to get it to stop. Or, you can use an ohm meter to check the switch for continuity. Once you've determined that isn't causing your problem time to find out if it's fuel or spark.

You can easily determine if you have a fuel delivery problem or a spark problem by doing what is called "propane enrichment".

At your hardware store you can buy one of those propane plumbing torches and apply the fuel from the torch directly in the intake stream through the intake muffler. Just open the valve on the torch and don't light it. Have a helper spin the engine over and work the throttle while you hold the torch nozzle up inside the muffler.

If it is a fuel problem, the engine will start and run and will even be responsive to throttle settings. Only do this for a few seconds.

If it has no spark at all, then you will not even get a "cough" or sputter. Again, only try this for a few seconds.

If it has one or more dead cylinders or it has low compression it will probably sputter and cough and you will be forced to do some more sophisticated testing like a compression test and a timing light attached to each individual spark plug wire to determine if it is firing or not.

Don't worry, this won't hurt the engine and if you do get a backfire through the intake, the fuel will light but you will jump back and take the fuel with you. Just remember to shut off the torch valve.

This works for fuel injected engines too.

FGH, did you verify that you are getting spark at the plugs? That's one of the basic things to check. Compression is also important, so you'll want to verify that. Finally, you need fuel delivered in the right amount at the right time. Let us know what you find. BTW, are you located in Maine?

That will be my next step. Drained the carb bowls and stuff didn't even smell like gas. Not from Maine, located in central Wisconsin.

FGH

Back