Logo

Distributer alignment

mrtmaag

Contributing Member
"When I pulled my distributer

"When I pulled my distributer to check for a 351 or 302 I discovered a 5/16" shaft causing me to believe it is a 351. In my excitement to try Poopiepantz theory I marked the position of the body of the distibuter but not the position of the actual distributer within the cap. I am afraid I may be off a partial turn, but I may not be. How do I figure out the right position? Will it cause damage if I try to start it without having the right position. HELP"

"Hi Troy,

If you are u

"Hi Troy,

If you are unsure what is meant by static time. Make sure you are at TDC on the harmonic balancer.(as you "kick" crank the engine the compression tester will indicate or use your thumb over the spark plug hole to feel compression.) #1 cylinder valves must be closed. Drop the distributor in making sure the rotor points onto the #1 spot where the #1 wire is installed in the cap. If the valves of #1 cylinder are not both closed then you will have installed the distributor 180 degrees off. Looking from the flywheel forward the #1 cylinder is the most forward upper right. If engine doesn't run (distributor 180 degrees out) then rotate the crank 1 full turn to TDC again and reinstall the distributor. You have a 50/50 chance. So close yet so far."

"I understand what TDC is, but

"I understand what TDC is, but I am not sure how to determine that on a FORD engine. Are there marks that need to lines up that would make it easy to determine TDC? With a little more direction I am sure I can figure this out."

"Good morning Troy,

Ye

"Good morning Troy,

Yes. Look at the harmonic balancer. The harmonic balancer is the round object with a pully on it bolted to the crankshaft. It rotates as you crank the engine. On this harmonic balancer is engraved lines. One line will be marked with a zero (0) or marked TDC (Top Dead Center). On either side will be more lines and ATDC (After Top Dead Center) engraved on one side and BTDC (Before Top Dead Center) on the other. You will find a pointer (pin)mounted on the block that lines up with these lines. It is on the side above the fuel pump. After you align the pointer to TDC on the harmonic balancer start the motor and set timing to 10 degrees BTDC. I believe each line on the harmonic balancer is two degrees. You should see a 10 at one of the lines. BTDC will be the lines that reach the pointer first while cranking before TDC reaches the pointer. Hope this helps."

Back