Logo

Prime engine oil in 2712-E?

Leebo4u

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum, I'd like to know if there is a way to prime engine oil for an engine that has sat dormant for years. Outside of cranking the engine over by hand to keep it free it has not been run since it was rebuilt years ago. I'm getting ready to run it for the first time and want to prime oil in the engine before actually cranking it or starting it. Is there a standard procedure for doing this?
Thanks in advance for all replies.
Lee

Lee' two ways to prelube: Remove spin on oil filter, remove bolts holding filter base to engine, raise base as high as hoses permit, pour clean oil from a container slowly into hole in center and hole off center of base, use about one quart, fill oil filter and replace.
Another way : Remove oil pressure sender on port side below exhaust manifold , make an adapter and hose or a funnel and pour slowly.
When your done hold the engine stop and crank till you see oil pressure.
Charlie w.

Charlie thanks for the info, I was hoping there was a way to build oil pressure without "spinning" the engine. I guess the only way to do that would be pumping oil into the pressure sending passage with an oil transfer pump?

Lee

Lee, yes you are right ! However i doubt you will have a problem by pouring thru the oil adapter as this will fill the pump and mains and rods. The cam is turning half speed and as long as the oil pump is primed it pumps oil quickly. I have never had a problem but for your own piece of mind the pressure system is the way to go.
Charlie w.

Charlie, thanks again.
At the moment the oil filter is still on the OEM mount. Correct me if I'm wrong, those oil remote adapters cost about $200 for the system, i.e. hoses and adapter? I will need the oil transfer pump, so I think I'll have to do that first. I just want to get this thing running to make sure it will run. Than I can make up all the other systems.
Lee

Lee, sorry i thought you had the marine filter but i know the filter you have so you will have to pressurize the system. American diesel has the remote filter adapters and hoses 804 435 3107 or you can buy the filter adapter from summit racing and the engine adapter from adc.
You will probably have more trouble with sticking injectors than oil problems. Let us know how it runs!
Charlie w.

Charlie,
None of the systems are installed at this point, the engine and trans are mounted and the prop shaft is aligned. Hopefully I can test run it before the end of May. I don't know where my brother got this engine from (his boat), all the manuals are from ADC though, I'll have to ask him if it's one of theirs. I looked at oil remotes again and see some for under $70, my preference would be lines that aren't hose clamped! So I would have the lines made. Sticking injectors...oh joy.
I'll keep you posted.
Lee

Lee,

it's probably best to get the hoses from adc. They will be the right size and are crimped fittings.

Before starting add50/50 marvel mystery oil and clean diesel to the filter nearest the injection pump. It will smoke for a short time but should prevent an injector sticking. If it doesn't start in five seconds you have a problem !! Let me know and i will tell you what to do next.
Charlie w.

Charlie,
My brother Wayne tells me the engine was rebuilt a number of years ago by a guy named Charlie W. who was the production manager of Ford Lehman. He had it rebuilt when he was in NJ. You wouldn't be that Charlie by any chance?
Lee

Lee,
that was the last lehman i rebuilt before moving to new york state!! Wayne and i test ran it in your dad's garage. Wow is that a blast from the past!
Is the engine running yet??
Charlie w

Back