Logo

1967 40hp johnson prop assembly PROBLEM

rrotzetter

hey guys ive been having troubles with my johnson the sheer pin keeps falling out almost every time i put her in gear! it wont shear it just simply falls out i have even loaded my boat and seen that the pin was half way out.... i have confirmed it is the correct size of pin. there is somthing i noticed the shaft for the prop has a key way on it and the hub has sort of a slot machined out of it that lines up with this key way do i need to have somthing in there? also i have seen some parts manuals and they all show cones at the end of them but i talked to my local prop shop guy who i just bought the props from and he said that if the propeller required a cone they would have come with one so im reallly confused!! any info would help thanks the model number is half scratched off so all i can see is 29E and its a 1967 40hp johnson

Those need the black plastic cone to keep the pin from fallin out !!!---------Some prop shop I would say, very little experience.

Be sure to use a stainless steel cotter pin with that cone. The one shown in the parts list is stainless steel. A steel one will slowly rust away, then cone and prop both fall off. Ask me how I know (it was a long tow home).

Back