Logo

Severe smoking from 23 ford

dizzy

"Help! after fixing this 1989

"Help! after fixing this 1989 bayliner again! it now smokes like a steam train so bad i filled our neighbour hood up with smoke! we have new condensor, new leads, timming spot on, i dont know what to do next i have set the air and flue like the book says.

the smoke smells of petrol and made the water butt turn black and there was carbon everywhere. any help would be great as i am sick of this very unreliable engine. Lee
rain.gif
"

Did the smoking start happenin

Did the smoking start happening directly after you worked on it?

Hi thanks for you reply.
yes

Hi thanks for you reply.
yes the smoke started directly after we worked on it . just check firing order thats ok.
Any ideas?

Does it miss fire or sputter w

Does it miss fire or sputter when in gear? Did you alter or adjust anything on the carbuerator? Please define "new leads".

"we have changed ht leads.
we

"we have changed ht leads.
we have fiddled with the air and flue mixture but have tryed to set it back to what the manual says?
we havent had it in gear, it splutters and smokes when it is running idle.

"i think its carb related"."

Black smoke and the smell of f

Black smoke and the smell of fuel indicate partially burnt fuel. Carbuerator problems would be overly rich fuel mixture and/or a choke that is not opening properly. Am I to understand that you replaced the condenser in the distributor? Are leads what we Yanks refer to as spark plug wires?

"yes HT leads in Uk Mean "

"yes HT leads in Uk Mean "high tension leads" or spark plug wires. the smoke isnt black it very white and thick. the condenser is new.
we have to open choke manualy? then it shuts when you let go. we lower the leg into a big water butt to run it and it turns the water black ?
thanks for your help its much appricated. we are getting very puzzeled by this engine!
uhoh.gif
"

"Ah, two countries divided by

"Ah, two countries divided by a common language. OK, back to work. The choke must be fully open during normal operation after warming up. Condensers are notorious for being defective when new. It is possible that you have a defective new condenser. Try replacing the old one if you still have it or try another new one. The symtoms are also characteristic of getting spark plug wires mixed up. It is a common mistake when replacing spark plug wires or replacing a distributor cap to have two wires incorrectly routed to two spark plugs. Happens a lot of times."

"Hi we have just found that #3

"Hi we have just found that #3 is not on the distributor properly. we cant start it at the moment as its dark and raining very hard.
do you think that would cause it ??
question.gif
"

"I'd bet on it! In the fut

"I'd bet on it! In the future when replacing ignition components, do only one or two at a time and then check by running. That way if something is defective or on wrong you can easily find the problem. Note that most spark plug wire problems occure when handling them. Be sure to always pull and push on the terminal and NOT the cable.
When replacing spark plugs, use anti-sieze on the threads of the new spark plugs when installing."

"Anti_Sieze. whats that? you y

"Anti_Sieze. whats that? you yanks! we let you use our
Queens english, (who happens to be German), and then you make up all your own words! Ha Ha. "only joking" is that what we call grease?
we are going to look at the carb and choke tomorrow in daylight . i would be great if you could give us some advice i will let you know tomorow . thanks again for your time. Lee

wink.gif
"

"Anti-sieze is a paste-like pr

"Anti-sieze is a paste-like product that prevents rust and withstands extreme temperatures, up to 1800 degrees Farenheit. One manufacurer of antisieze, here in the colonies, is "Permatex" who also makes gasket sealing compound. It is a good preventative measure to avoid spark plugs from getting frozen by rust and difficult or impossible to remove later.
Over the years I have learned to avoid tampering with carbuerators as much as possible. 90% of poor running is caused by ignition malfunction. Even when I suspect a carburator problem I will update the ignition maintainance first to rule out any ignition problem. Though I've rebuilt carbuerators before, I choose to remove mine and take it to someone highly skilled to do it these days."

"Hey, Lee, if you folks drove

"Hey, Lee, if you folks drove on the right side of the road over there....

Yes, one bad plug lead on a 4 cylinder (I think it is?) is a HUGE power loss.

Jeff

PS: Have you heard this one?

Asked my British buddy which way the distributor turned. "Anti-clockwise," he answered.

"What's that?" I shot back, "an ant that knows how to read time!""

"hi Jeff

its a good job our

"hi Jeff

its a good job our ancestors where better with boats than us, otherwise we would never of found your country!
but then they only had to worry about sails and wind, not 20 year old carbs.

talker.gif
"

Lots of us worry about 20 year

Lots of us worry about 20 year old carbs--me for example. (1985 boat.)

Welcome to the club.

Jeff (living over here in the Colonies)

Back