Logo

Honda 9.9 running rough and then not at all

ben r anderson

I have a Honda 2006 9.9. When I purchased the motor no one told me about the problems with water in the fuel and how sensitive these small motors are to this. *I learned this the hard way and am now very careful about the fuel and switching the fuel/water separator every year. Last year the engine ran well and in the fall I had it winterized by an authorized Honda dealer.* This year after installing a new fuel/water filter and fresh gas plus additive the engine started on the first pull but ran rough and could not reach a high rpm, after a couple of minutes it died and I was unable to restart it.
Does anybody have any thoughts?
Thanks Ben

Well, the good news is that these little jewels are pretty easy to work on and that goes for the simple carburetor. The bad news MAY BE that you'll have to do the work yourself if you want it done right!

With proper care and, most importantly, attitude, these engines CAN BE pretty much trouble free. After all, they are the best in the world...in my opinion.

There is really no need to have a fuel/water separator for this outboard if you run clean, fresh gas and drain the carburetor before putting the engine up for any length of time. If you do not do these basics, there is no "device" that will counter the effects of poor quality fuel being left in the float chamber. As a matter of fact, I don't like to see these smaller outboards run with water separators as they are usually the first place trouble lurks. If a guy won't empty his float chamber routinely, then he sure as heck ain't gonna keep up with maintaining the water filter. And, having said that, that's where I would start the "hunt" for your no start issue.

"Authorized Honda Dealer" is just that, "Authorized". Not bad, not good, not great. Just authorized. Some ARE great but, I suspect, just as many are not and it's a crapshoot and a crying shame that you just never know what you're getting into when you walk into a business until you plunk down your money and walk out. It's the same all over. Car dealers...truck dealers...computer repair. Some good, some not so good. When your outboard was "winterized", you relied on the dealer to do a good job. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But it's up to you to find out now.

It sure sounds like a fuel issue from here and, as I said before, that water separator COULD be the culprit. With those things screwed on to the transom, you have extra connections that can leak and extra hoses that can separate internally and plug.

First thing,
You say that you recently installed the fuel/water separator and fresh fuel. Did you get all the connections "air tight"? It could simply be a matter of it sucking air and vapor locking. Other things that come to mind are:
Is the tank vent open and clear?
Have you cleaned and inspected your fuel tank for dirt/debris?
Does the primer bulb stay hard after you pump it?
Have you tried draining the water separator into a clear container to check for contamination?
Have you tried draining the carb into a clear container to check for contamination?
Have you pulled the spark plugs and taken a look?
Have the plugs been changed recently?

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT recommend using starting fluid (ether) on one of these fine engines except in an emergency.

But, you can get a can of carb spray and about 2 ft. of vacuum line from the auto parts store to make yourself a little test set up. The engine will absolutely run on carb cleaner with no damage as would occur with ether. Snake the vac line up through the sound muffler and into the carb throat then put the little straw that comes with it in the line and give it a good "burst" then turn her over. If it has spark, it should cough, sputter or run. Then you'll know for sure it is a fuel issue.

One simple thing to try to get her going without a carb tear down is to loosen the carb drain screw and take some WD-40 and, again with the little straw, stick it up the drain tube and flood the float chamber then let it drain. Do that at least a couple of times then take that can of carb spray cleaner and do the same thing. Then close the drain, pump up the primer bulb and then open the screw again and flush the bowl with gas. Then close the drain and try to start. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. If the float or inlet valve is stuck, this can un-stick it.

Good luck and let us know how you're coming along.

I agree they certainly are little jewels that's probably why I'm so reluctant to work on it myself. I will give it a try. Thanks for your suggestions I will order a repair manual today.

Ben

Well, the good news is that these little jewels are pretty easy to work on and that goes for the simple carburetor. The bad news MAY BE that you'll have to do the work yourself if you want it done right!

With proper care and, most importantly, attitude, these engines CAN BE pretty much trouble free. After all, they are the best in the world...in my opinion.

There is really no need to have a fuel/water separator for this outboard if you run clean, fresh gas and drain the carburetor before putting the engine up for any length of time. If you do not do these basics, there is no "device" that will counter the effects of poor quality fuel being left in the float chamber. As a matter of fact, I don't like to see these smaller outboards run with water separators as they are usually the first place trouble lurks. If a guy won't empty his float chamber routinely, then he sure as heck ain't gonna keep up with maintaining the water filter. And, having said that, that's where I would start the "hunt" for your no start issue.

"Authorized Honda Dealer" is just that, "Authorized". Not bad, not good, not great. Just authorized. Some ARE great but, I suspect, just as many are not and it's a crapshoot and a crying shame that you just never know what you're getting into when you walk into a business until you plunk down your money and walk out. It's the same all over. Car dealers...truck dealers...computer repair. Some good, some not so good. When your outboard was "winterized", you relied on the dealer to do a good job. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But it's up to you to find out now.

It sure sounds like a fuel issue from here and, as I said before, that water separator COULD be the culprit. With those things screwed on to the transom, you have extra connections that can leak and extra hoses that can separate internally and plug.

First thing,
You say that you recently installed the fuel/water separator and fresh fuel. Did you get all the connections "air tight"? It could simply be a matter of it sucking air and vapor locking. Other things that come to mind are:
Is the tank vent open and clear?
Have you cleaned and inspected your fuel tank for dirt/debris?
Does the primer bulb stay hard after you pump it?
Have you tried draining the water separator into a clear container to check for contamination?
Have you tried draining the carb into a clear container to check for contamination?
Have you pulled the spark plugs and taken a look?
Have the plugs been changed recently?

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT recommend using starting fluid (ether) on one of these fine engines except in an emergency.

But, you can get a can of carb spray and about 2 ft. of vacuum line from the auto parts store to make yourself a little test set up. The engine will absolutely run on carb cleaner with no damage as would occur with ether. Snake the vac line up through the sound muffler and into the carb throat then put the little straw that comes with it in the line and give it a good "burst" then turn her over. If it has spark, it should cough, sputter or run. Then you'll know for sure it is a fuel issue.

One simple thing to try to get her going without a carb tear down is to loosen the carb drain screw and take some WD-40 and, again with the little straw, stick it up the drain tube and flood the float chamber then let it drain. Do that at least a couple of times then take that can of carb spray cleaner and do the same thing. Then close the drain, pump up the primer bulb and then open the screw again and flush the bowl with gas. Then close the drain and try to start. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. If the float or inlet valve is stuck, this can un-stick it.

Good luck and let us know how you're coming along.

I posted here yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. I hope this isn't too late. I was urging you to order the Helm Inc. service manual as opposed to a Chilton, Clymer, Hayne's or Seloc. The Helm manual is more expensive but well worth the money. I also went into detail about how even the Helm manual isn't that helpful when it comes to removing and servicing the carburetor. There are a couple of pitfalls that we here, on the forum can, help you overcome. So, please consult before beginning work if you do decide to do that chore yourself.

Regardless of who does the work, start by spraying PB Blaster on the two bolts, upper and lower, that hold the air intake "muffler" housing halves together. These stainless bolts tend to seize in the captured bronze nuts they are threaded into. If they are seized, when you try to remove them, the force transfers to the nut and the nut will rotate and break the plastic muffler housing. It's not a great engineering job that they did here but it is what it is and, if you can spray the rust penetrant on them as far in advance and as often as possible before trying to break them loose then, you can apply anti seize at reassembly and avoid that problem in the future. I've broken more than a couple on my rental fleet and I just ZipTie them back on.

Here's a link to a parts page for reference. The bolts in question are item #7 and the part that breaks is item #3

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2006/BF9.9D6 SHSA /MUFFLER COVER/parts.html

If, when you get the cover off, you find item #1, the flame trap, has fallen out of it's mounting, I can tell you how to secure it to keep that from happening again too.

Back