Logo

TX Hydraulic Trim Tabs Wiring Guru Help Please.

matt.speedtriple

Regular Contributor
Hi Folks,

I`m looking for some advice from a wiring guru in regards to my later 1970`s TX Hydraulic Trim Tabs Wiring.

I bought this boat a couple of months back and have been having a real battle with the engine and cooling system but i`m finally starting to see the end of the tunnel with that so started looking around the rest of the boat to see what else isn't working as Mr.DIY had owned it before and really screwed most things up.

During my digging about then i came across the trim tabs pump and motor that was still attached to the pipes but i couldn't find any switches anywhere on the boat to operate them??? After tracing the cable then it turned out that Mr.DIY didn't know what they were for so just cut the cable and discarded the switches. (Yes i will be completely rewiring the boat over the winter!)

Anyway, I've removed the whole pump assembly from the boat just now to check it works but need some advice how to do this before paying out for replacement switches only to find it`s dead. I found a wiring diagram in the boats paperwork which i've scanned as have attached below plus marked what i`m missing so any advice on which wires i should +power together to test it would be a great help.

Cheers, Matt.

TXTrimTabWiring1.jpg
[/IMG]

If money was no object then that`d be a great solution but as i've just spent loads of cash on getting the engine parts then it`s not an option.

I`m the type of person who`d prefer to try something to see if it works fine before simply discarding it just because it`s old and is missing a couple of rocker switches. Hence i was asking for advice on how to test the unit before going any further.

It still amazes me why people never try to repair things anymore rather than just throwing things away and replacing with new parts. I was a motorbike mechanic for over 30yrs and we always tried to repair things before having to buy new. Nowadays mechanics simply plug in they`re wee computers to tell them where to look for a fault and then become new parts fitters rather than mechanics who learnt from years of knowledge. Maybe i`m just what`s known as old school now but i`m too old to change now.

Old school or new school does not matter. As a paid professional I look for reliability. You can fix old crap and still have crap. In this profession, time is money. Fix it once and move on. No come backs.

And when it comes to the old trim tabs, try a Bennett or a Boat Leveler switch. They should work for you.

Hi Guys,

My boat has TX Control trim tabs. Purchased somewhere between 1991 and 1995. Now this little shell which keeps the 'quill' in the tube broke down. Does anybody know where to get this part?

Last edited:
Recommend that you start a new thread and provide more information, like make & size of boat, make & model of the trim tabs, and provide a picture, if possible. Then some folks can help you out. I have no idea what you are calling a "shell" and a "quill."

Back