Logo

2002 50trlb running rough

mitchellw

I've got a 2002 50hp yamaha outboard on my g3. It started having problems last year with rough starting and running so I....

Rebuilt the carbs
changed the plugs
adjusted the timing on the cdi

I've checked the fuel lines and pump, and both are clear and free of obstructions. So here's what it's doing now.

It will only start with the red switch on the electrothermal valve half way between off and on. If I start it there, it will sputter off when I close the switch. It also will not run with the switch all the way to open. Before changing the plugs, only the center cylinder was firing at all. now it will run fairly smooth at idle with the switch in the half way position. When out on the water, on the occasions where it will open up and run at speed, it hits on all cylinders, but will usually stall out as soon as I push the throttle. I've noticed that there is some fuel pooling in the barrells on the carbs. So much that it sometimes will drip out the intake muffler. Seems like it's running rich, but I can't make sense of why it will only run with the scond fuel pump at the eletrothermal valve pushing fuel all the time?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm no outboard mechanic, but do have some experience, and all the work I've done has been right out of the seloc manual. so please help me out by "dumbing down" any answers to a level where a wanna be shade tree can understand.

Thanks
-Mitch

Needle valve in carb not sealing properly allowing fuel to pour out of float bowl replace needle valves
needle valve connect to the float inside carb as float goes up with fuel level needle valve stops the fuel once carb is full

Back