Logo

Changing oil on cobra drive

rob454

hey guys Im new on here. I hav

hey guys Im new on here. I have a ton of experience with jet skis and vehciles but almost none with boats. I currently own a 89 bayliner with a Cobra drive and a ford 5.0 v8. I want to do a oil change on the out drive. i read the manual but its a little comfusing.

How do I actually change the oil. also how do you change the oil in the lower unit?
if someone can give me a decent step by step I woudl appreciate it. I tried calling a marine shop but those guys were a holes. It tells me to fill it from the center plug. there is a dip stick on top a plug right below the wing on the right side and a plug way low on the bottom which is the drain plug. So that gets the upper unit how does the lower unit get changed. I dont see anymore plugs.
Thanx guys. I know a bunch abotu the motor now since I jsut got done with a motor swap.

"He told You right. remove bot

"He told You right. remove bottom, and top plug to drain, then replace bottom plug, remove middle, and fill from there. engine oil You must suck out the dipstick tube. if it has a threaded fitting on it, just pull from top of tube. otherwise run a small hose down tube to bottom of pan. easier if oil is warm. vacuum type changers work well, but a drill pump will do the job cheaper. agrivating, and messy though."

"Ough!!!!
Remove top, bottom

"Ough!!!!
Remove top, bottom and middle plug and drain.
Then fill from BOTTOM until oil comes out of middle - insert midle and fill to level mark on top dipstick: dipstick NOT screwed down!"

"no disrespect intended, but I

"no disrespect intended, but I believe that procedure was changed. (by O.M.C.) that was original procedure, and certainly will work."

Thanx guys.
Ok so
Drain flu

Thanx guys.
Ok so
Drain fluid. and leave the top dipstick cap off. then refill from the very bottom or from the middle cap or bottom cap ( either one will work.

NOW does that also fill the lower unit or is that a separate drain and fill procedure. The manual shows the prop being removed and a drain and fill hole in there also. Am I correct in this.

My engine oil dipstick has a hose type fitting on the very end of the dipstick. Does anyone make a drain with a hose that comes out the boat drain hole for easy no mess or vaccuming of oil needed. My dipstick is part of the drain plug block ( if you wanna call it that)
Thanx

If you guys have any questions on jet ski motors ( anything two stroke LMK. Ive done two stroke motors for abotu 8 years as a sidejob
Rob

"For the outdrive part either

"For the outdrive part either of those 2 methods above will work, I've done it both ways. Remove the very bottom drain screw and then the top to prevent a vacumn, don't remove the middle screw at this time unless you want a big mess to clean up but once the oil level has dropped below it then remove it. Once drained replace the bottom screw (Note! I would recommend you replace the washers on these 3 screws at this time if you don't know how old they are) attach the oil pump to the middle screw hole and put the top dipstick in but not screwed in. Fill it up so the oil rises to the mark on the dipstick and then tighten the dipstick and replace the middle screw. This funny procedure is because OMC actually used the lower unit off their big outboards and the oil cavities don't really line up and the reason for filling down low and pumping up to the top is reduce the chance of getting air trapped in there.
When you drain the oil look at it and if it appears milky at all then you have water in there and you need to find out the source.
Use either OMC Hi-Vis Ultra HPF.
Check the level again the next day or again in the spring before you launch incase it has settled some.

For the engine oil, as mentioned warm it up so it flows easier, this also gets a lot of crap suspended in the oil so it comes out as well. I have a small hand pump with a couple of feet of an old garden hose which screws right on to the top of the tube."

Ok so then this procedure will

Ok so then this procedure will fill up both the lower and upper housings. SWEET. Thanx for the info.

"Dennis,
Not sure if anyone m

"Dennis,
Not sure if anyone makes a conversion for draining the oil from the engine, as you suggested. I have a 351W in my boat and the original owner replaced the drain plug with a fitting, installed a second drain plug at the bottom of the transom and ran a hose between the two. Now to drain my oil, I simply make sure engine is warm and drain the oil through the extra transom plug. Works like a dream."

"I have the same engine (3

"I have the same engine (302), and have a drain plug/hose combo. The plug replaces the original plug, and allows me to drain the oil through the hull drain plog hole.
I will search and see if I can find a part number for you."

is the procedure the same for

is the procedure the same for a stringer drive ? (changing the oil for the drive )

"No, the stringer drive has tw

"No, the stringer drive has two separate oil cavities. The upper has it's own fill and vent plugs and so does the lower."

Back