Logo

Looking for 1959 Chris Craft repair manual 283

• Thread starter Teri and Ivan Gelseth
  • Start date
"CHeck with a local speed shop

"CHeck with a local speed shop, a general repair manual, covering that engine should be available. Only difference street to marine, might be compression, marine engines genenrally have slightly lower compression then street engines, but other specs and rebuild info the same. What kind of problem are you having"

"Compression will be down on a

"Compression will be down on a marine motor. I knwo for a fact that the 327F for instance has a 8.0:1 comp ratio, for 210-hp. The automotive version has 8.5:1 in it's lowest power form and produces 250-hp.

It is generally a good idea to stay away from automotive thinking around a marine engine. Although most of the marine motors were derived from automotive designs, they use diffrent cams, ignition, and sometimes (as in the small block Chris Craft Q series) they even use different timing and cylinder identification than GM used. Let an automotive guy apply automotive thinking to a Q motor, and you will have nothing but headaches. I know the comment was well intentioned, and it has merit. My purpose for posting should be obvious, to be careful about the specific ways of tuning and equiping a marine engine. Many marine engines require them to be timed at 500 rpm while under load, for instance.

Regards, DS

Do not under any circumstances use automotive fuel pumps or carbs on a marine motor. They are not USCG certified (fire / dangerous in an enclosed bilge area)

Dogsharks"

Back