Logo

Black Thermostat

walleyedave

Removed the thermostat from 2002 9.9--blackened for most of the lower section. Place it in 160* water and noticed very small bending in j shaped spring harness. Best guess is???? Plan on changing stat and seal but if it got this hot what are the chances of head warping? Just purchased from a guy that said it always pumped fine and never over heated--sure!!!

walleyedave, the PO might no be mis-leading you. The telltale can work just fine - and the thermostat not be working. So, it could actually have been over-cooling the engine. And, he might have had just enough flow that it didn't trigger any overhead alarms. So, the telltale is a critical piece - but doesn't guarantee the state of operation of the thermostat.

That is what I was wondering. Ran motor for 1st time in barrel-seems to be a good flow--not super strong. After 4-5 minutes the alarm sets off and light closest to key switch goes red. Stopped motor immediately. When I got back into it pulled stat and that is where I stopped. Going to replace it first and then see. The stat port looks clean. I think the water pump is good-just want to eliminate 1 thing at a time.

Try starting it for a little bit without the thermostat or thermostat housing. There should a good flow of water coming out of the the thermostat hole. You should only need to run it this way for about 10 - 15 seconds or until you see the water flow.

Mike

If it flows will this mean that ample water is getting to the engine. This should tell me that the stat is not working properly-so replace it immediately and then run again--ok?

Back