Logo

DT 150 Alarm at Idle...HELP!

nitro_circus

Had to change forums in hopes you guys can help me. No luck on the other.

Here's the deal. Last year my water warning lights and alarm would go off the moment I started the motor. It would go away at quarter-throttle and accelerate fine. I could run it all day like that, no problems. Then as soon as I powered back down to idle, lights and alarm again. After testing the temp/flow sensors this spring I realized that when unscrewed from the heads and hanging upside down (flap in the "open" position), the lights and alarm went away. So...I have a flow problem I cannot locate to save my life. Sometimes the right side lights come on, sometimes the left, sometimes both at the same time. Last year I replaced the t-stats and impeller. This year I flushed the heads (as best I could), replaced the water pump housing, plate and gasket and visually inspected the inside of the water tube (going from the lower unit to the engine). All looks good there. BTW, the stream of water from the tell-tale has always been very strong.

Since the lights/alarm is inconsistent (sometimes left, more often right, sometimes both), it seems the problem would be wherever the water splits off to go to each head, rather than INSIDE the heads. With all new water pump and a clear water tube, I don't see how the problem could be down there...but what do I know? One thing to note; with the lower unit off, the main water tube (still connected at the engine) has some up-and-down play. Could my problem be a worn seat/grommet where that tube connects at the top? And how would I even get to that to inspect? I'm at a total loss...

Back