Logo

Yamaha trim gauge

mcgyver

Contributing Member
I think honda trim sensor sends the signal differently than the yamaha (resistance sending)...am i correct? Last part of my switchover...may have to pick up a new trim gauge...unless I'm missing something ;-)

3 wires out of the sender, black, green and the signal (yellow/blue), i'm at a loss how to test this thing....BTW the lever moves very smoothly.....

Resistance between the light green/black and the black 4 - 6 ohms

Resistance between the yellow/blue and black 2.7 - 4.3 k ohms

Mike

Mike, didn't think that the honda sender worked on ohms? or does it just work with different values than say a yamaha?

First of all, as I look at the specs, the 4 - 6 ohms was taken out of the manual. I think it should probably be more like 4 - 6 k ohms, although the manual does not say that.

What happens is the potentiometer (trim sender) has three leads. One is connected to ground and one is connected to a 5v source. That provides a voltage across the resistance. As the third lead essentially slides across the resistance, it's voltage value changes from approx zero (when it is at the ground end) to approximately 5v (when it is at the 5v end).

So if you test the sender at the sender with it disconnected, you are checking resistances. When it is put into the circuit the way Honda uses it, it will vary the voltage at the sender lead at the gauge. In other words, at the gauge the sender voltage will vary with the trim of the motor in the range of 0 to 5 v.

You may just want to check to be sure that the trim sender is moving. Raise the engine all the way up, and move the lever with your hand. The trim senders sometimes will get stuck due to salt, etc. WD 40 or pbblaster can held freeing it up sometimes. The resolution to your problem could be that simple

The Yamaha sender does not connect to a voltage reference, but only to ground. So the potentiometer varies the resistance to ground and that is what the Yamaha trim gauge is seeing.

Mike

Back