Logo

Honda 225 Cylinder head removal

hondatic

Been working on a knock in an older 225, 2002 model. engine runs great but developed a knock last spring. Been sitting in the shop since.

Started tearing it down and am now at the point where I would like to remove the cylinder head on the control cable side of the motor. Got the timing belt off but now manual says I need a special wrench to remove the cam shaft pulleys, to hold them while you back out the bolt.

Any ideas on the best place to get one or can I just use a large crescent wrench and a 1/2" impact wrench to pop them loose? Don't want to chance spinning a cam shaft if the wrench slips with impact wrench on it.

Is it possible to remove the head with the pulley still on the cam shaft?

I have to disassemble most of the engine on a stand in the covered porch to get it light enough for a couple of buddies and I to pick it off of the stand with a boom truck and then carry it into the shop to the workbench by hand.

Any help will be appreciated.

I'd try an impact wrench - and hold the cam pulley in place with a strap (rubber) wrench. I've taken off camshaft pulleys with no issues - so camshaft would be easier. Impact is good because the blows are so fast it doesn't generate sustained torque to turn over the engine.

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow. I thought it should work but haven't done much with impact tools, more of a sledge and breaker bar but hard to hold the pulley still and if you turn the cam too far I expect i'd bend a valve or something.

Back