Logo

Battery Disconnect Switch

west500

I have dual batteries with a perko battery disconnect switch. I have had problem blowing fuses within the last 6 months. Any suggestions the reason why this is blowing the fuses? The first time the mechanic said the fuse holder had drop on floor bottom and moisture could have caused the problem, then the mechanic tied it of so it would not drop on the floor, but yesterday I had the same problem a blown fuse. Another question what is proper way of operating the battery disconnect. Do you run with one battery or two batteries. I have operate the boat using both batteries.
Thanks in advance,

without knowing how your boat is wired its going to be hard to help you...how many fuses are in the boat and what does the blown fuse feed?....when does it blow?.....does it blow when you operate the battery disconnect for example?...we need more info....i do not and have never used a battery disconnect switch...what is the purpose of it?..i use two batteries but they are completely isolated...the only battery i charge with the boat charging system is the ignition battery....and that is only a maintenance charge......both batteries are charged with external charger before i put the boat in the water...my theory on that is the less current drawn from the stator the less heat and the chances of a stator meltdown is reduced....

Definitely need more info - single engine? which fuse, etc.

In general, you don't want to switch batteries with the alternator making energy. Almost every decent battery switch I have seen provides for a field disconnect and I've seen about a half dozen used in 30 odd years of doing this. As a general rule, especially lacking the specifics of what you have, the best setup is usually an ACR (automatic charging relay) setup for one alternator to charge two batteries. You can keep the existing battery switch and only use it for complete battery isolation and emergency jumping.

Back