Logo

Honda 200HP shutting off and alarm going off after slowing down

Cohoho

Hig Guys, I am new to the site and have a question regarding my 2006 Honda 200HP Outboard... Just started to have this issue and can't figure out what is casuing it. It starts perfectly, runs great till I start to slow down after 15-20 runs, once I get around 4000 rpm the motor shuts off and alarms goes off, it shutters and shakes terribly too. A simple flick of the key and it restarts and runs fine till I slow down again? I am at a loss as to why? Will be scheduling an appointment with Honda dealer next week to check it out, anyone?

Could be any number of things. Questions...

1. What does the alarm sound like? Continuous? Intermittent long beeps (every second or so)? intermittent short beeps (2 per second)?
2. Do you have a four-light key switch panel? If so, what lights are on when alarm goes off?

The absolutely first think I would check is that your oil level is good. If the ECM detects low oil pressure, it will automatically slow the engine down to 1500 rpm.

There is a procedure for pulling off fault codes from the onboard computer by shunting the service connector, but since you are taking the motor to a dealer, then he will get a much more detailed readout from his HDS computer.

Continous sound. Will check oil level now that I got it flat on the road on the trailer. Hopefully dealer can get me in quick as I got several Halibut trips lined up...

If you are going to start doing your own work on that engine, I highly recommend that you purchase the official Helm Shop Manual. Expensive at $116.00, but worth every penny. DO NOT purchase any of the after-market manuals - too many errors and omissions.

Back