Logo

BF50D convert from tiller to forward controls

chrissvv

Hi Guys

Looking to set up my boat as a side console, it is currently a tiller steer with power tilt/trim, electric start etc. What do I need to purchase to convert this over.
Thanks
chris

It will all depend on what type of controls and key switch assy that you are going to use.

It is an easy change.

You will need two throttle/shift cables 33c type, key switch assy, remote control box, and main wiring harness.

Of course you will need a steering wheel, helm, steering cable etc....you can usually buy that as a kit.

Then you will need a steering link for the engine to connect the engine to the steering cable.

If you check out the sections for controls, gauges, key switches, harnesses in the Honda accessory manual to see the options. http://marine.honda.com/products/accessories

I am sure, if you take some pictures of the layout of your boat with some measurements from the location of the helm to the engine and from the location of the shifter to the engine....your local dealer could set you up with exactly the lengths, etc of what you need.

I know you can probably buy the things you need on line a little cheaper, but if they take the time to go through the items that you need, their advise should be worth the difference. Keep in mind, you may have some additional questions as you go, and you will have a ready reference with your dealer. We do this all the time.

Mike

It will all depend on what type of controls and key switch assy that you are going to use.

It is an easy change.

You will need two throttle/shift cables 33c type, key switch assy, remote control box, and main wiring harness.

Of course you will need a steering wheel, helm, steering cable etc....you can usually buy that as a kit.

Then you will need a steering link for the engine to connect the engine to the steering cable.

If you check out the sections for controls, gauges, key switches, harnesses in the Honda accessory manual to see the options. http://marine.honda.com/products/accessories

I am sure, if you take some pictures of the layout of your boat with some measurements from the location of the helm to the engine and from the location of the shifter to the engine....your local dealer could set you up with exactly the lengths, etc of what you need.

I know you can probably buy the things you need on line a little cheaper, but if they take the time to go through the items that you need, their advise should be worth the difference. Keep in mind, you may have some additional questions as you go, and you will have a ready reference with your dealer. We do this all the time.

Mike

Thanks Mike

I live about 1800km(1000Mile) from the nearest reliable dealer so I'm going to have to do this on my own over the internet. Thanks for the info I will go through it and see if I can work it out

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Since you are in that situation, look over the type of controls and/or key switch assemblies that you would like and post that info. Also, post some measurements of the distance that the cables would run from the console to the engine. Also, the distance from the control box to the engine, if it is not on the helm.

I will try to give you a list of what you will need from that. That should, at least, get you on your way.

Mike

Back