Logo

MD 2010 Injection Pump problem

Hallberg

Hi, all. Just walked into your great forum.

Got a Volvo Penta MD 2010 that doesn't start...
Just serviced the injectors, new battery.*Main suspect: diesel delivery.

• Have bled the standard bleeding bolt on top of diesel filter.
  • Loosened the small bolt on the connection where diesel goes in to the injection pump, and where the return line also*goes. There is diesel coming out.
  • Loosened the pipe connections to the injectors, turned the engine for bleeding. No diesel.
  • Loosened the connection from the injection pump. Took a picture.

MD2010_inectionPump.jpg

• The flash from the cam exposed more dirt than I was happy with. Traces of paint.*
  • Flushed the pipes. Cleaned the delivery valves (or what I should call those two things coming out of the pump)
  • Tried to bleed the injection pump using the starter motor. I have not done this before, but I expected som sort of squirts or dribbles - there was nothing at all.
  • Loosened those two delivery valves in the picture half a turn. There was a hiss and some bubbles.
  • Now I could bleed the injection pump with the lift pump lever. There came diesel. And then more bubbles. And then just diesel.
  • Tightened them down. But there was still no squirting when I turned over the engine...

So, any ideas on what to do next...?

regards

There could be a problem with the governer and or the fuel rack. The throttle and governer move the rack to increase or decrease the amount of fuel required. It could be stuck or broken. Since you have serviced the injectors and battery, it would not be a bad idea to have the pump checked out. For around $150, it can be rebuilt and calabrated.
You can also use starting fluid to prime the pump. Alot of people do not like to use starting fluid, but in moderation it is not bad. Squirt some in the intake while cranking to see if the engine will fire. If it fires and continues to run, problem solved. If it fires and quickly dies, fuel problem. Use caution with starting fluid if your engine has a coil in the intake. Good luck!

Back