Logo

broke off bolt

bigdtbone

I let a friend of a friend ( i know big mistake) work on my 1995 200hp yamaha 200txrt . i needed to have a head gasket replaced . no only did the gasket leak water he broke off a bolt at the very bottom of the head. it dosent appear i can get the bottom of the cowling out of the way so i can drill and extract bolt any ideas might help. thanks

Yes it is....very common, even in strictly freshwater motors.

Why is this? Seems to be a jap thing (same with Suzuki, Nissan Honda, ect) Head bolts, thermostat housing bolts....break or threaten to break all the time.

Seldom happens on J/E or Mercs.

As I stated earlier in another thread, broken bolts, especially in the head area can turn into catastrophes. If you want the bolt removed correctly so it will ensure the head torques back down, then remove the powerhead, take it to a machinist and have him remove the bolt. Putting a hole in the cowling is a bad idea, I'll bet you start drilling and go off into the aluminum, then you will have a whole new set of problems. I work in a national engine rebuilding shop, I see this type of thing everyday of the week. Trust me. :)

Back