Logo

2006 4 stroke troubles

Here it is. The motor is a 2006 90 hp 4 stroke. It has been sitting for about 3 months. When it was stored there was and issue with water in the fuel. Since pulling it out the plugs have been changed and the carburators have been drained and fresh gas has been run through the engine. My problem is that the engine turns over but does not start. Net wondering if anyone had some tips I could try to get it back to life again.

Thanks in advance

Since the water was found the tank has been drained cleaned and the fuel lines replaced and we found that the ffuel line had delaminates and that is how the water entered the tank and fuel

Last edited:
what brand motor?the decision is do you have fire or fuel problem?are the plugs firing and if so are they wet with fresh gas?

It is a Yamaha. The plugs have good spark and there is gas on all four plugs when I checked. I was thinking that the carburators might be clogged up but really don't want to take them off but I will if I have to.

2006 -- 90 hp appears to be fuel injected with no carburetors.----------------So what is the model # and have you checked the kill switch ?

I hate to sound like broken record but I would make sure the battery is good and the connections are all clean and tight .The next thing start at gas tank and make sure all water is out of off fuel separator,tank and fuel strainer under the cowling.Good mech's are Anal about water,gas ,and EtOh," Just don't go there it's too expensive.Last check the voltage at the Battery and the voltage at the Starter.If they are diffrent you may have battery cable problems.

The batteries are brand new along with the wire and connections. The funny thing about the fuel separator is that it does not have one. But it's on the list to install. I have a friend who is going to help me flush the tank and inspect the hoses for ethanol damage which I have already found evidence of that. I'll post the model number in the morning when I get off work and try and answer the other questions. I'm not that know page able of boat motors but they look like carburetors on the side but could be wrong. As for the kill switch, coming from someone who has paid someone to tell me that is why my engine is not working I front of several friends on the dock. I have. Becker all the connections and the switch it self. I don't make the error anymore

Last edited:
You are right it is a 2004. I discovered that when I started looking in the book when I started working on the engine. I finally got the engine running great after I removed the carburators and found that they were fouled up with crap. So a nice cleaning and inspection the engine ran great.

Thanks for the help

Back