Logo

Shaking Yamaha 40 hp 2 stroke

tom_f

I haven't run my Yamaha 2004 40 HP 2 cycle in approximately 6 months. It starts fine and idles fine. It takes off, hits a plane and after a minute the engine starts shaking. It will then run on low band but not get up ot mid or high band without shaking. The spark plugs have all kinds of fire. Regardless I replaced them. I added some fresh premium gas and Sea Foam hoping it would help but it still runs the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance,
tom_f

Have you checked for an overheat condition?-----------Replaced the water pump impeller recently ?-----------Checked for water in the fuel ?

Have you checked for an overheat condition?-----------Replaced the water pump impeller recently ?-----------Checked for water in the fuel ?

Hi racerone,

Thanks for your reply.

The water pump impeller was replaced two years ago. It is shooting out a nice forceful stream of water which is warm when I put my hand underneath the stream.

I have an inline cannister (automotive style) for water / gas separation. Although I haven't removed the cannister and checked, it would probably be a good idea. The bowl inside the cowling is fine with no water apparent.

Best,
Tom

Hi racerone,

I checked the 1994 40 hp yamaha 2 stroke today. It got on plane for about a minute and then started the shakes again. The water from the weep hole was hot so I shut it down. I believe you may be right about the over heating problem.

What next?

Thanks, :)
Tom

Back