Logo

Mariner oil injection fitting question

txbasshound

1998 Mariner 150 EFI. After running across the lake, we noticed an oil slick behind the boat and a blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. Whole inside of engine cover was covered in 2 cycle oil and I found a 3 way brass fitting that looked like a hose was missing. I can't find any hoses anywhere that aren't connected and I have no idea where the hose should have been connected to.best fitting pic.jpg

The picture needs to be expanded to see what area of the motor it is.------------Some motors had a fitting / checkvalve and hose to feed crankcase pressure to the big oil tank.

That the 2 psi check valve on oil inlet hose next to oil tank. Check your top cap and bet you will see its cracked due to faulty crankcase pressure check valve on engine. The oil tank in boat over pressurizes and oil cap on engine cracks around top of it.

I tried to post a better picture but can't get it to upload but the fitting is right behind the fuel filter and below the oil tank mounted on top of the motor.

Yes. The main oil tank (2 gal) is in the hull and there is a smaller tank mounted on top of the motor which looks like it may be what actually injects the oil into the motor and the lines that feed from that tank to the motor are connected to the fitting in question. one small kine into the fitting, one small line out and then the part of the 3 way fitting that looks like it's missing a hose.

Last edited:
That the 2 psi check valve on oil inlet hose next to oil tank and has no hose connected to it (you could call it a vacuum beaker). Check your top cap and bet you will see its cracked due to faulty crankcase pressure check valve on engine. The oil tank in boat over pressurizes and oil cap on engine cracks around top of it.

faztbullet...GOOD CALL! Looked at the cap on the 1 liter tank (on the motor) and it looked good so I went to screw it back on the tank and the cap was split about 1/3 of the way around where the side meets the top. Am trying to find one on line and not having much luck. I guess I should be looking for a crankcase pressure check valve too. Is that the valve assembly that's inside that cap on the 1 liter tank? Has a small float with a couple wires that run through the cap.

Back