Logo

First post about First honda

squid fishous

Hey just a quick one ,about to take new Honda 90 for it"s fist outing..the dealer put about .7 hrs. on it in the fall before storage,, i have had it running on the hose a couple of times just to make sure all works..followed the manuals suggestion on anti corrosion spray and gave it a once over with the cowls off..My question is what is the best break in procedure,the manuel and sealoc just give a vauge to me about rpm range and time..what about varying and how much how long?? always owned 2 strokes ,1st 4 and i am a trying to give it it's best start in life... once shes broken in the prop questions,fuel questions,filters ect.ect...

First of all, congratulations on your purchase. I think you will be very happy with the 90. It is a nice motor. I hope that the dealer propped it correctly. You should see 6000 - 6200 at full throttle.

Your question is the very reason we always put the full two hours of breakin on an engine before it leaves the dealership. It takes a little more time, but it removes all the guess work. I think very few dealers do that...and it is not something that Honda asks the dealer to do. Fortunately, we have a couple good customers, who are excellant boater, that volunteer to "take a two hour boat ride" and not only brake in the motor but double check the rest of the functions of the boat. We then join them for the last part to make sure it is propped correctly.

Follow the breakin procedure that is in the owner's manual. It should be on page 51. http://marine.honda.com/pdf/manuals/00X31ZY96210KIT.pdf

Forget what you see in the Seloc manual.

The first two hours are what you have to pay the most attention to. If the dealer has already put .7 hours on it, you only have about 1/2 hour of running it between 2000 and 3000 rpm.

Then for the next hour vary it between 4000 and 5000 rpm.

Do not do a lot of idling during this hour and a half. It will be better to run it hard than easy to help set the rings.

After that...for the next 8 hours just do not run it at full throttle for more than 5 minutes at a time. Once again, do not baby it. It will break in better if you give it a good workout.

One other thing, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, they are an excellant resource for any question.

Have fun with your new motor.

Mike

Hopefully, Mike will agree with this additional advice - Once you have gone through the breakin poeriod as Mike described, I believe it is a good idea to run the engine at WOT (full throttle) as much as is safe for at least the next 100 hours or so. This continues the breakin and if there is going to be a problem, it will likely show up by the end of that period. My dealer, who I think is exceptionally good, chewed on me a bit when I brought in my 225 for a 100 hour maintenance and checkup after the breakin period. Told me I was "babying" the engine too much because his HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) readout showed only 1 hour at WOT, and that was not good for the engine.

Hopefully, Mike will agree with this additional advice - Once you have gone through the breakin poeriod as Mike described, I believe it is a good idea to run the engine at WOT (full throttle) as much as is safe for at least the next 100 hours or so. This continues the breakin and if there is going to be a problem, it will likely show up by the end of that period. My dealer, who I think is exceptionally good, chewed on me a bit when I brought in my 225 for a 100 hour maintenance and checkup after the breakin period. Told me I was "babying" the engine too much because his HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) readout showed only 1 hour at WOT, and that was not good for the engine.

thank you apprecieated:cool:

thank you honda dude ,read some of your post @ THT very helpful ..I belive they propped it @ 6100 rpm during wet test...not happy about the early revs ,but thats what they did...got it ez with the idle and have at it a bit thank you again..DAVE

Last edited:
Back