Logo

Honda BF200 - Continuous eeeeeeeee sound when running the engine over 4000 rpm

caldvn

Honda BF200 - Continuous eeeeeeeee sound when running the engine over 4000 rpm. Once I slow down below 4k or so I don't hear the tone, it's very low and you can barely hear it past the engine. Initialy I had believe i was hearing things but I had confirmation from passengers.

A few things, I added a Honda Racor fuel/water seperator per Honda marine site, did oil change and replaced the spark plug. I may not have noticed this sound before the change, but I'm not 100% sure. After the change I noticed much better performance when increasing throttle and previously was only aboe to hit 5500-5600 rpm, now it appears I can rev up to 6000 rpm. The fuel/water sperator bow is continuously full, but it appears that it's all gas, and not just water.

I know what overheat temp alarm sounds, very loud and in the center console. Tried a few tims to try to flush via muff/engine on, but it doesn't seem like I'm getting enough water flow, so I've been forced to flush through flush connection.

Thanks in advance.

Posssibly the drive shaft bushing in the extension housing (exhaust housing, intermediate housing) just above the lower unit.

Excuse the ignorance, first boat. Is this something I need to address right away or can I order the parts and have it worked on after a few fishings trips? Assuming i have to drop the lower unit I will order parts to work on the impeller. Thanks for the quick reply.

Agree completely with Chris. You didn't say what year engine you have, but around 2007 and earlier, some of these engines had a serious problem with the intermediate shaft bearing. When they fail, they can quickly eat through your housing. Also, when you drop your lower unit, spend the few extra bucks to replace the entire water pump, not just the impeller.

Lower unit top of the shaft. Doesn't look bad. But then again I don't know what is or isn't bad, learning as I go.
photo.JPG

I think this is mid cowl, the point where i would need to replace the drive shaft bushings? Unfortunatelly I didn't have time to get to it, but didn't really notice anything out of ordinary with it.
photo2.JPG

From the lower unit looking up.
photo3.JPG

The bushing is behind that circlip and washer ( hole on the right in photo). Take a close look at the rubber bushing around it and the bronze (?) insert for wear. If the rubber is distorted off center or the bushing worn, replace it. Personally, I'd replace it anyway since you already have access to it. I think it costs less than $30.00. This is the most poorly designed part I have seen on the Honda, IMO.

The bushing is behind that circlip and washer ( hole on the right in photo). Take a close look at the rubber bushing around it and the bronze (?) insert for wear. If the rubber is distorted off center or the bushing worn, replace it. Personally, I'd replace it anyway since you already have access to it. I think it costs less than $30.00. This is the most poorly designed part I have seen on the Honda, IMO.

Yup ordered all the mainenance parts, hopefully will get them before the end of the week and have it installed. The only thing I'm concerned now is what the different types of Honda alarms are there that comes from the engine area. I know the overheat alarm is in the front, but what are the other alarms that come directly from the engine? The "eeee" doesn't sound like a mechanical noise.

Correct - no engine mounted alarms. However, are you indicating that the sound that you heard may have been coming from the main control alarm on your console? That is, the same alarm that beeps twice when you turn on the ignition?

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send the alarm codes to you.

Correct - no engine mounted alarms. However, are you indicating that the sound that you heard may have been coming from the main control alarm on your console? That is, the same alarm that beeps twice when you turn on the ignition?

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send the alarm codes to you.

The sound is definetely coming from the engine area, not the console compartment. Unfortunatelly it looks like my parts won't be in this week, the good/the bad is there's 25-30 knot winds this weekend so it doesn't look like I'll be taking the boat either way... Thanks.

Roger that. Know what you mean about the winds. I've been holed up in Hatteras and haven't been able to get to the Gulf Stream in three weeks. Maybe Friday and Saturday.

Hmm, I took lower unit home to redo the impeller and check the gear unit oil. Prior to that if I spun the propeller it was smooth, now that it's off the motor, it sort of clunk clunks when I spin it, is that normal? Hopefully I didn't damage it on the way home. Sort of stiff, not smooth. Maybe it's not in gear?

Replaced, greased, the shaft and the bushing, still got the eeeee sound, not much difference. Was a pain in the butt getting the shift shaft, the gear shaft, and the water up in the shaft lined up! Replaced the low fuel pressure fuel filter. Guess it's probably one gear somewhere that's just whining louder then necessary at higher rpm. Thanks for the help!

Back