Logo

Spark Plugs

Guys,

After getting charged £27 per spark plug on my recent dealer service I wanted to ask a question on spark plugs...

NGK - IZFR6F11

I can see these available from a number of sources on eBay. The ones listed in the Marine section are all very expensive whilst there are others listed under bikes or cars for half the price. For example

Listed under Bikes - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-Spark...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19cd986502

Listed under boats - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-SPARK...at_Engines_EngineParts_SM&hash=item53ec2bb8ab

Whats the difference ? are there varients of the IZFR6F11 for different application or is this just another example of the big Marine Rip-Off !!!

Have another look !

The Iridium ones arethe cheaper ones that I found listed under bikes on ebay....!!!

The ones that don't mention Iridium are the expensive boat ones..

As far as I know, if they are the same part number, they are the same plug. I would try a set of the cheaper ones and see how they work out.

As long as it has the "I" for iridium, and the sharp point on the end of the electrode, then it should be OK. The last NGK IZFR6F11's I bought at NAPA were about $19 each.

Jimmy - Nice chart - Thanks.

Hi chawk,
Chart courtesy of NGK FAQ's
Question sir: Do you know or can you discern what the Z in the part number refers to? That is why I said the chart confused me. In their breakdown that sequence position is supposed to be for "Metal Shell Size" but there is no "Z" listed as a descriptor. Any clue?

Jimmy - I assumed that the I and Z both indicated "type" - I for iridium and Z for extended gap, then the F is for shell type. If you look at those plugs, the gap between the center electrode and the ground on the rim is pretty darn wide. But then, you know what ASSUME breaks down to - ASS U & ME.

I think maybe you're right. It struck me that NGK must make plugs with less than 0.030" specified gap and so the tile block in the number chart is labeled "WIDE GAP". It's just that they chose to use 11 (0.044") as the example for both number samples. Confusing I must say.

Back