Logo

67 24 ft sea ray w/78 chev 305 electric shift exhaust issue

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
heres the dilema....i bought a used starboard manifold from a guy on flea bay...it was used...he stated there was a hairline crack but since i run in saltwater it would rust and seal itself quickly...is this true or am i a dummy for believing him ?...second part to the question...after installing...it has three cracks and all are leaking water...i feel ive been swindled but thought id ask you guys before i lose my boot up the buissiness end of this guys backside...thanx in advance....dimitri

You wasted your money. Well, maybe not wasted, since you learned a lesson at the cost of a useless lump of iron.

so a friend of mine told me to take my old manifold and put a large bead of the red rtv and let it set for a day , then after it sets up put it on and torque it down ...stating this should take care of the pitted surface that was causing the original exhaust leak that inspired me to purchase this large paperweight that i now own....any input on that one?....thanx ...dimitri

stating this should take care of the pitted surface that was causing the original exhaust leak

Ayuh,.... You haven't said Where/ What this leak is,....

RTV probably won't help a thing...

the original mani is leaking exhaust..not water...at the center section where it seats to the engine block and i discovered the pitted surface when i changed gaskets as i scraped off the old one

the original mani is leaking exhaust..not water...at the center section where it seats to the engine block and i discovered the pitted surface when i changed gaskets as i scraped off the old one

Ayuh,... Got any pictures of those gasket surfaces,..?? how 'bout the riser/manifold gasket surfaces,..??

No Cracks in those manifolds,..??

no pics, no cracks , im gomma take a grinder to it and a wire wheel and see if i cant do a resurface myself...ill post the results....thanx...dimitri

no pics, no cracks , im gomma take a grinder to it and a wire wheel and see if i cant do a resurface myself...ill post the results....thanx...dimitri

Ayuh,.... Don't do that, you'll screw it up....

Either bring 'em to a Machine Shop, or at worst, try it yerself with a Belt sander....

Yer talkin' gettin' 'em Flat, that's Thousandths of an inch,.... Not just Close....

Agreed it has to be " flat " not just " look " flat and clean. Now this can be done at home with a file / piece of glass to check the work / lots of patience and time.----------Quick way is for a machine shop to clamp it up and take a skim cut.------------Make sure it is flat before you pay them.----------If it is not flat it may well crack when you torque it up and then you will mutter and have to start over again.

okay so as i stated before , i took a 4" grinder with a grinding wheel and a framing square to my exhaust mani and i think it was successful. placing the square across all three surfaces it appears to be perfectly flat now...im gonna bolt it on and test it...i'll post results....i am a cheap bastid and hate to pay someone my hard earned money if i can do it myself...bye the way , i filed a dispute through paypal against the guy who sold me that leaky manifold and he refunded my money....i took the money and put it towards my new tilt motor :)

Back