Logo

BF15D Sputters and cuts off.

wpaul36

I have a 2003 BF15D that I recently brought out of winter storage. Cleaned carb thoroughly, cleaned and checked spark plugs for proper gap. Start and runs fine until it warms up to normal operating temp. then begins to sputter and cuts off at all throttle positions. Will run for a little bit at low idle after it cuts off. Checked fuel filter and there seems to be no blockage. I recently took into dealer for fuel chamber recall as well as accelerator pump cap service bulletin and I told them about the issue. The dealer performed the recall and service bulletin work but didnt test run the motor. So its my problem know since I don't plan to take it back given there piss poor service. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have new spark plugs and a fuel filter on order.

Wow! The dealer missed an opportunity to make some money....and make you a happy customer and get future business!

A couple of things...

You said the carb was cleaned thoroughly, but did you make sure all the passages in the float bowl are clear? There are several in the bottom.

Also, are you sure that the idle jet (long skinney tube) is not plugged up. Is it seated correctly in the upper part of the carburator?

Did you check the fuel flow through the small pin sized holes at the top of the barrel of the carb? You do this by removing the idle jet and shooting solvent (I generally use brake clean) using the straw that comes with it, inserted into the place where the idle jet plugs into the top of the carburator. Then watching how the solvent flows out of the pin holes. There should be a nice stream out of each.

Also, is the accelerator pump working? Or is it stuck? The dealer should have noted if it was stuck when they changed the cap, but they missed other opportunities.....

The other thought is that the motor may be overheating due to a stuck(closed) thermostat. That is probably the easiest to check. Two bolts hold the cover. The motor needs to be at operating temperature to run properly, but will shut down it you try to run it when it is too hot.

Mike

Is this pull start or starter? The reason I ask is that, in addition to all that Mike said, this sounds like it COULD be an auto choke problem. If it has a manual choke disregard but if it is auto choked, make sure that it is plugged in correctly. If it is plugged in properly then you might still need to do an operational check if you continue to have problems after ensuring all the things Mike gave you have been addressed.
Good luck.

Checked the thermostat and it seems to be opening and closing properly. Jgmo it is electric start with auto choke. Well I guess the next thing is to break the carb down again. By the way is there supposed to be a plug or something on the inlet where the garden hose adapter screws in above the thermostat housing?

Back