Logo

BF 150 Overheat indicator.

mcgyver

Contributing Member
new motor to me...2005... 5 - 7 min idle with muffs and the overheat indicator goes on (red) with solid alarm...20 sec later shuts off (normal procedure. checked thermostats and clear and working (have not hot water tested yet) 150f and 160f) What is the next logical step? Pull the impellor? (there is a stream although not as strong i've seen with other engines I've owned) I'm at a loss what direction (time and $$$) to procedure on....

Ditto - Get a large trash can, fill with water, make sure intakes are well into the water, and test that way. That water will also heat up after awhile, but you should get about 20 minutes of test time before overheat alarm trips.

large rubbermaid and got to 20min+ before i shut her off! thanks all...will pick up a double muff setup for freshwater flushing during season....

Will it hurt the engine to do maintence flushes for 5-10 min? concerned about repeated overheat alrm coming on...or will it shut off BEFORE any dmage occurs?

DO NOT run the engine when using the standard Honda flushing port. When you are flushing the engine, you're actually reversing the flow of the water from the way it flows when the engine is running.

Thanks, don't believe that that flush port is as good as warming up, opening both thermostats and flushing. Will use double flush muffs...will that hurt as per original question 2 above?

Don’t run the engine if using the flush port. That port goes directly into the head and doesn’t feed the rubber impeller or utilize the thermostat. At least that is how my 130 is plumbed. Thermostats and flush port enter the engine from different water lines.

Back