Logo

671 Ti audible engine alarms

Bill Richardson

I am in contract to purchase a 1983 44' Viking MY w DD 671 TI's. 2700 hours. Surveyor says in pretty decent shape. No overheating, no oil leaks, oil pressure a little low at idle speeds, but still in acceptable range.. No black smoke etc. Runs good. One issue we couldn't figure out. In shifting the engines between forward and reverse at different RPM's we got an audible engine alarm consistantly. Thought that it may be a low oil pressure alarm, but it happened at higher rpms and when the oil pressure was up. Only when shifting. Anyone have any ideas why? I am going to have a marine diesel tech look at the engines...but I'm just curious if anyone else has encountered this issue. Doesn't seem to have any effect on performance as the engines ran well at full throttle, idle and everywhere in between. ???

G'day Bill,

Could be Gearbox low oil pressure alarm circuit if fitted. Happens when clutch pack dumps oil between changes,clogged filter will all so cause problem.

Cheers, Shakey.

My 44 Ocean does the same thing when the engines are fully warmed up. When I shift, the rpm drops just enough to reduce oil pressure and trigger the bells. My port engine runs at 40 lbs but at idle 'hot' it drops to 15 lbs. Starboard engine runs at 60 lbs and 25 lbs .
The alarms will go off on both engines when shifting into reverse for a fraction of a second. This does not happen all the time. I don't like it ,but I have had the boat for 6 years and this condition has not changed. My friend has the same model and engines and his does the same thing.

Back